Subspace Questions: Determine Sets in R2

• Thread starter Mooey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
A subspace would be a subset that is also a vector space in its own right, under the same operations as the original vector space. So you would need to check all 10 axioms to show that a subset is a subspace.In summary, the conversation discusses determining if two sets, defined as subsets of R2, form subspaces of R2. The first set is shown to not be a subspace since it fails the closure property under addition. The second set is also shown to not be a subspace since it fails the closure property under both addition and scalar multiplication.
Mooey

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following sets form subspaces of R2:

{ (X1, X2) | |X1| = |X2| }
{ (X1, X2) | (X1)^2 = (X2)^2 }

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm clueless. I've been trying to figure it out for a good thirty minutes on both of them, but I'm completely stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you tell if some subset of a vector space is a subspace of that vector space?

You check to see if there's a counterexample and/or if it's closed under addition/multiplication. Problem is my book has given no examples of something like these, and my professor went over it the day I was out of class so I have no idea how to work it out.

Edit:
Okay, I've figured out the first. I took (1, 1) and (1, -1) which are a part of the subspace, but their sum is not (i.e. (2,0) fails since x1 =/= x2)). I could still use help on the second though!

Last edited:
There is a list of axioms, the vector space axioms, somewhere in your book. A subset of a vector space is a subspace iff it is a vector space in its own right, under the same operations.

So all you need to do is check the axioms.

Nevermind, I used my above example (1, 1) and (1,-1) for the second question and figured it out!

(1, -1) is a part of the subspace, and so is (1, 1), but their sum is not (2,0) (i.e. 2^2 =/= 0^2)

Tinyboss said:
There is a list of axioms, the vector space axioms, somewhere in your book. A subset of a vector space is a subspace iff it is a vector space in its own right, under the same operations.

So all you need to do is check the axioms.

If you need to show that some space and two operations are a vector space, yes, you have to verify all 10 axioms.

OTOH, if you are given a subset of a vector space (R2 in the OP's problem), all you need to do is check that 0 is in the subset, and that the subset is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

Mooey said:
You check to see if there's a counterexample and/or if it's closed under addition/multiplication. Problem is my book has given no examples of something like these, and my professor went over it the day I was out of class so I have no idea how to work it out.

Edit:
Okay, I've figured out the first. I took (1, 1) and (1, -1) which are a part of the subspace, but their sum is not (i.e. (2,0) fails since x1 =/= x2)). I could still use help on the second though!

Correction to your terminology: (1, 1) and (1, -1) are elements in the subset of R2. You have shown that this subset is not a subspace of R2, so you shouldn't call it a subspace.

1. What is a subspace in R2?

A subspace in R2 is a set of points that lie within a two-dimensional coordinate system. It can also be described as a plane or a flat surface within the larger R2 space.

2. How can we determine if a set is a subspace in R2?

A set in R2 can be determined to be a subspace if it meets three criteria: 1) it contains the origin (0,0), 2) it is closed under vector addition (if two points within the set are added together, the result is still within the set), and 3) it is closed under scalar multiplication (if a point within the set is multiplied by a scalar, the result is still within the set).

3. What are some examples of subspaces in R2?

Some examples of subspaces in R2 include lines passing through the origin, the entire x-axis or y-axis, and any plane passing through the origin.

4. Can a subspace in R2 have more than two dimensions?

No, a subspace in R2 can only have two dimensions. This means that it can be described by two variables (x and y) and is contained within a two-dimensional coordinate system.

5. How are subspace and span related in R2?

The span of a set in R2 is the smallest subspace that contains all the points in that set. In other words, the span is the subspace that is formed by all possible linear combinations of the points in the set.