Frame-Dragging, Density and Space-time Distortion

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a significant frame-dragging or spacetime distortion effect on Earth, using materials like Neutronium or Osmosium combined with advanced technology. However, it is determined that the mass of the object is the determining factor for the amount of spacetime curvature and time dilation, making it unlikely for anything on Earth to produce noticeable effects at this time.
Theoretically
Hello everyone I'm fairly new to the world of Astrophysics and as such have come upon an odd question. Is there any material possible that you could assemble on Earth that would have any significant Frame-Dragging or space-time distortion effects? Let's say we are able to extract, pressurize, and give a high rotation to a teaspoon of Neutronium, would it produce any noticeable distortion of space-time or have a frame-dragging effect or is this only limited to the insane conditions of black holes? And if not Neutronium, would super-dense Earth metals like Osmosium combined with highly focused laser technology (Like Mallet's time machine perhaps) produce a noticeable effect? Apologies if I'm missing a very obvious point here.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Define noticeable. Gravity Probe B just took very accurate readings of the frame dragging effect of the Earth. We've known about the frame dragging effects of the Sun for about a century now, as it was used to explain the precession of Mercury around the sun being higher than Newtonian physics allowed.

I'm not sure what your asking about in the last half of your post. Frame dragging and spacetime warping are purely determined by the mass of something. There isn't anything that we could feasibly build at this point in time massive enough to detect frame dragging from it.

Hmm well let me explain. This was mostly from a snippet of an idea from a documentry about Mallet's machine (which is doubtful to work IMO) where frame-dragging was used as a means of speeding an object up to near lightspeed similar to being caught on the deep event horizon of a black hole. Now I'm talking about a significant enough effect that something caught in the dragged frame can actually be time-dilated to anything more then a few seconds a year.

Mass in a general sense or in context of the object it's acting upon? Ex. Could a micro-black hole produce a time-dilation effect on a even smaller particle caught in it's EH?

Frame dragging does not cause time dilation to my knowledge. The mass of the larger object determines the amount of spacetime curvature which determines the amount of time dilation another object near it experiences. A micro-black hole could cause significant time dilation if a particle much smaller than the black hole was in it's gravitational field close to it. But that's just because of it's mass and density.

I can provide some insight into this question. Frame-dragging and space-time distortion are both effects predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. These effects occur when massive objects, such as planets or stars, create a curvature in space-time around them.

In order to create significant frame-dragging or space-time distortion, we would need an incredibly massive and dense object. Neutronium, which is a theoretical material made up of tightly packed neutrons, would have a very high mass and density. However, even a teaspoon of Neutronium would not be enough to produce noticeable effects on space-time. In order to have a significant impact, we would need an object with a mass comparable to that of a planet or a star.

As for super-dense Earth metals like Osmium, while they have a high density, they do not have enough mass to create significant frame-dragging or space-time distortion. Additionally, highly focused laser technology, like in Mallet's time machine, would not have any impact on space-time distortion.

In summary, while the concept of frame-dragging and space-time distortion is fascinating, it is limited to extremely massive and dense objects, such as black holes. It is not something that can be replicated on Earth with our current technology and materials. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. What is frame-dragging?

Frame-dragging is a phenomenon in which a rotating object, such as a planet or star, causes the space-time around it to be dragged along with its rotation. This results in a distortion of space-time around the object.

2. How does frame-dragging affect objects?

Frame-dragging affects objects by causing them to experience a slight shift in their trajectory as they move near a rotating mass. This is known as the Lense-Thirring effect and has been observed in the orbits of satellites around Earth and other planets.

3. What is the relationship between density and space-time distortion?

Density and space-time distortion are closely related. The more massive an object is, the more it distorts the space-time around it. This means that objects with higher densities, such as black holes, have a stronger gravitational pull and cause a greater distortion of space-time.

4. Can frame-dragging be observed in everyday life?

Frame-dragging is a very small effect and can only be observed in extreme conditions, such as near massive rotating objects like black holes. In everyday life, the effects of frame-dragging are not noticeable.

5. How does frame-dragging relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Frame-dragging is a prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains how gravity works as a curvature of space-time. The phenomenon was first predicted by Einstein in 1916 and has since been confirmed by several experiments, providing further support for his theory.