A book for quantum physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to self-study quantum mechanics in order to apply it in physics and chemistry. They mention different books that they are considering, including "An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics with Applications in Chemistry" by Pauling, "Lectures on Physics vol. 3" and "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Feynman, "Quantum Theory" by David Bohm, "Quantum Physics" by Gasiorowicz, "An Introduction to Quantum Physics" by French and Taylor, and "Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei and Particles" by Eisberg and Resnick. They also mention considering buying the lectures by Prof James Bin
sarvesh0303
I want to self study quantum mechanics so that I can apply it in both physics and chemistry. However I don't want one written for a layman without any mathematical equations.
I want one book that will cover everything that will be taught in an introductory undergrad quantum physics course(and even more if possible!). I have heard a lot about Griffith's but I am running low on my pocket money(and won't be getting more any time soon) so I had the following books in mind.

Pauling-An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics with Applications in Chemistry
Feynman-Lectures on Physics vol. 3
Feynman-Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals
David Bohm-Quantum Theory(Dover Books on Physics)
Gasiorowicz – Quantum Physics
French, Taylor – An Introduction to Quantum Physics
Eisberg, Resnick – Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei and Particles

I would be buying Feynman lectures on physics vol.3 anyway.
But apart from that, I want a proper quantum physics book. I am guessing mostly I would like to buy French's version since it was tailored for an MIT introductory course and I have seen that the course itself is pretty awesome.
I don't think Feynman's one on path integrals is a proper introductory book as it is more of an introduction to path integrals rather than quantum mechanics.
Mostly I am leaning towards the book by French and Taylor.Is the decision good or should I go for something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that already. I have even downloaded the book as a PDF from his webpage! Does the book cover everything(is it self-sufficient)? I have not started reading the book yet. Is there anything else you might be able to suggest? Thanks

If you can afford it, Zettili is remarkable for self study as he has a section in each chapter devoted to solved problems.

sarvesh0303 said:
I know that already. I have even downloaded the book as a PDF from his webpage! Does the book cover everything(is it self-sufficient)? I have not started reading the book yet. Is there anything else you might be able to suggest? Thanks

We are here to help, how would I know that you had this reference already? There was no mention in your post about it. In any event, I have no more references that may be of interest.

jedishrfu said:
We are here to help, how would I know that you had this reference already? There was no mention in your post about it. In any event, I have no more references that may be of interest.
No offense. I was just excited that somebody else was using the same book I was going to use(even though I don't think it's popularly known). I didn't mean to offend you. The exclamatory marks were not to be interpreted as me shouting

And thanks for the suggestion about Zetilli. I am sure I will check that out. Also does Prof. Binney's book cover and make use of the bra-ket notation? I have seen that quite often and I know it's quite essential to quantum mechanics. But I have no knowledge of it and would love to have a book that introduces and makes extensive use of this notation

some people lile to read Dirac's treatment of quantum mechanics although now it may be dated and not show the more modern interpretations.

Also Penrose's Road to Reality might be interesting to read as well. Chapter 22 pgs 533-536 talk about Dirac bra-ket notation.

I have seen that Penrose's book is quite amazing, however, I want a book centered on quantum mechanics. I find that I am able to afford the paperback version of Zettili's book.
So keeping in mind that I want a book with lots of content and also Dirac's notation, which should I go for: French,Taylor or Zettili?

Hi Dear;

Greate Greate vote for Principles of Quantum Mechanics by "Shankar"

Try Griffith book: Intro to QM. Although I've never read it it was widely used in our undergraduate school.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Try Griffith book: Intro to QM. Although I've never read it it was widely used in our graduate school.

It was used in a graduate class? Really?

I can recommend Cohen-Tanoudji's book on QM. One of the best books about physics I've ever read. It's explanations are very complete, and every equation is derived with step-skipping kept at it's minimum. However, that doesn make it a less "to-the-point" book. Sakurai's book is also pretty cool, it covers some more advanced topics that Tanoudji's book does not. That's what I like. Later on, if you're interested in the application of QM to chemistry, you should pick up "Modern Quantum Chemistry" by Szabo/Ostlund. It's a great book, and very cheap (though a bit dated).

The book by Cohen worthes recommendation.

Guys, no offense, but this just broadens the search even more. I can give you a bit of my background. I am a high school student and want to self-study quantum mechanics and want to learn more about the Dirac notation and learn quantum mech. using the same.
I have weak prereqs in college level but I can learn the prereqs quickly. I have seen previews of both Zettili's book and French's on Amazon and want to buy one of them.
I have heard of the books you have recommended but I just want to narrow the search now. I would be buying the books you recommended when I enter college but buying others right now would burn a hole in my pocket!
I just want an introductory, undergrad-level Quantum Mechanics book(preferably which works with Dirac notation and I would love some rigor in the problems!).
So which should I go for, French,Taylor or Zettili?

Sorry, but I'm about to widen your search still further. 'Quantum Mechanics' by F Mandl. I like it, it explains things well, but it takes a lot of reading. The Eisberg and Resnick is really good, but I find it hard work, and it is expensive. I use it as a reference, whereas the Mandl I can actually read, albeit slowly and with a lot of thinking.

As to which book is the best it really depends on which you actually prefer in style. It might be a good idea to try to see these books in a library if you can before deciding to buy one. Some styles can be fairly dry and hard to read for one person, but give another person exactly what they were looking for. Good luck!

Thanks! I will look into it!
The problem is that in my city there are very few libraries with science books. I am still hunting for a good one!

sarvesh0303 said:
I would be buying the books you recommended when I enter college but buying others right now would burn a hole in my pocket!

I just wanted to add that regardless of which book you settle on, used copies can easily be found on Amazon and other sites, and that for many books older editions are just fine and even cheaper on the used market. I always buy used if it is an option. My knowledge of quantum mechanics is much less than many folks around here so I will refrain from recommending a book.

best of luck,

jason

Thanks for the advice, Jason! Will keep it in mind before I buy a book

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles of how the universe works at a microscopic level.

2. Who is this book for?

This book is for anyone who is interested in learning about quantum physics, from students to professionals. It assumes some basic knowledge of math and physics, but does not require a deep understanding of advanced concepts.

3. What topics does the book cover?

The book covers a range of topics in quantum physics, including the history and development of the field, basic principles such as superposition and entanglement, applications in technology and everyday life, and current research and theories.

4. How is this book different from other books on quantum physics?

This book is written in a clear and accessible way, making it easier for readers to understand complex concepts. It also includes real-world examples and applications, as well as discussions of current research and debates in the field.

5. Do I need a strong background in math to understand this book?

While some basic knowledge of math is helpful, this book is written in a way that is approachable for readers with varying levels of mathematical understanding. It includes explanations and examples to help readers grasp the mathematical concepts used in quantum physics.