Kinetic energy question. (layman)

In summary: Just to be clear: you are talking about after the ball was thrown, right? Or do you mean while throwing the ball?After.
Moris526
Hi all.
English is not my native language, so bare with me (joke i found googling the right word). I am from Argentina.
My question.

If i throw a ball, i have learned it has kinetic energy. But if motion is relative doesn't that mean that my hand has the kinetic energy too?

thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moris526 said:
But if motion is relative doesn't that mean that my has the kinetic energy too?
Yes.

Moris526 said:
doesnt that mean that my has the kinetic energy too?

I think you omitted a word in the area that I put in boldface. My (your) what has?

Sorry. Yes, I omitted the word ¨HAND¨.

Kinetic energy is a property of anything in motion. The term kinetic means motion.

CAB12 said:
Kinetic energy is a property of anything in motion. The term kinetic means motion.

I don't get it. If anything in motion has kinetic energy and motion is relative then the kinetic motion of an abject is relative? if an object passes me by it has kinetic energy but if i move with it, it does not?

Confused here!.

Moris526 said:
I don't get it. If anything in motion has kinetic energy and motion is relative then the kinetic motion of an abject is relative?
Yes.

Moris526 said:
I don't get it. If anything in motion has kinetic energy and motion is relative then the kinetic motion of an abject is relative? if an object passes me by it has kinetic energy but if i move with it, it does not?

Confused here!.

Hand has kinetic energy ball does not, it isn't moving. Only thing the ball has is internal energy.

Ball thrown, thus has kinetic energy. What matters here is the direction you are throwing it, up, down, left, or right? That would be the reference frame.

Relative motion = you on a plane moving.

Just to be clear: you are talking about after the ball was thrown, right? Or do you mean while throwing the ball?

CompuChip said:
Just to be clear: you are talking about after the ball was thrown, right? Or do you mean while throwing the ball?

Yes, after.

Wikipedia " In physics, the kinetic energy of an object is the energy which it possesses due to its motion.[1] It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity"

Where is the kinetic energy? If it is in the object and comes from an acceleration, that is in relation to a frame of reference, right?. So the object has a diferent kinetic energy in diferent frames of reference? Or it has kinetic energy from a frame of reference?

Moris526 said:

Confused here!.

That is in part correct. Relative to you running it has less kinetic energy than if you were standing still, that is: If I throw a ball at you at 10m/s and it hits you while you're standing still, then I throw the same ball at you at the same speed, but this time you are running away at 5m/s. The ball has the same amount of kinetic energy in both instances, but getting hit with the ball in case one will hurt more than getting hit by the ball in case 2.

Jesse H. said:
That is in part correct. Relative to you running it has less kinetic energy than if you were standing still, that is: If I throw a ball at you at 10m/s and it hits you while you're standing still, then I throw the same ball at you at the same speed, but this time you are running away at 5m/s. The ball has the same amount of kinetic energy in both instances, but getting hit with the ball in case one will hurt more than getting hit by the ball in case 2.

If i measure the energy of the ball as it is approaching me, don't i get different ones? If this is true, the total energy of an object is not absolute?

Moris526 said:
If i measure the energy of the ball as it is approaching me, don't i get different ones? If this is true, the total energy of an object is not absolute?

Exactly. It is relative.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the object's mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated by the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Common examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a rolling ball, and a person running.

4. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when a car's brakes are applied, the kinetic energy of the moving car is converted into heat energy through friction.

5. How does kinetic energy relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that can be converted into each other. Potential energy is energy stored in an object's position or state, while kinetic energy is energy of motion. When an object falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.