How dangerous are Zinc Oxide nano-particles to the skin?

• Thread starter Solid Snake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin Zinc
In summary: Zinc oxide nanoparticles are used in sunscreen to block UV light. However, there are concerns about their safety because some in vivo studies show that they can damage epidermal cells. However, most animal studies show that they don't get absorbed and don't elicit any biological response. So from the evidence it seems that ZnO NPs are safe to use in cosmetics.
Solid Snake
How dangerous are Zinc Oxide nano-particles to the skin?

I'm sorry ahead of time if this is the wrong place to put this. I'm just curious if anyone here knows if nano-particles of zinc oxide sunscreen actually harms the skin? Would it speed up photoaging (considering that it is effective in blocking UVA rays, which cause photoaging)??

I've seen conflicting reports, so I wanted to know what people here thought. Thank you so much.

Biology news on Phys.org
Solid Snake said:
I'm sorry ahead of time if this is the wrong place to put this. I'm just curious if anyone here knows if nano-particles of zinc oxide sunscreen actually harms the skin? Would it speed up photoaging (considering that it is effective in blocking UVA rays, which cause photoaging)??

I've seen conflicting reports, so I wanted to know what people here thought. Thank you so much.
Please post the peer reviewed sources you read so that we can be on the same page as you. Otherwise, we have no idea what you are referring to.

Thank you!

Zinc oxide nano particles have been introduced to sun cream in recent years as they block UV light and due to their small size are transparent to visible light. Thus more preferable to consumers rather than applying white cream. There have been concerns about their safety for a while but the data at the moment seems to be inconclusive. Some in vivo studies show that ZnO NPs damage epidermal cells:

DNA damaging potential of zinc oxide nanoparticles in human epidermal cells
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037842740900023X

But animal studies mostly show that ZnO NPs don't get absorbed any more than regular ZnO (which has been used in products for ages I gather) and don't elicit any biological response:

Dermal absorption and short-term biological impact in hairless mice from sunscreens containing zinc oxide nano- or larger particles.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24266363

It seems from a cursory reading that the consensus is that ZnO NPs are safe to use in cosmetics but continual research is needed.

Ryan_m_b said:
regular ZnO (which has been used in products for ages I gather)

It is a common ingredient in many creams and gels - and I don't mean cosmetics, but drugs.

I would say that the potential danger of Zinc Oxide nano-particles to the skin is still being studied and debated. While Zinc Oxide is generally considered safe and effective as a sunscreen, there are concerns about the use of nano-particles due to their smaller size and potential to penetrate the skin more deeply.

Some studies have shown that Zinc Oxide nano-particles can cause oxidative stress and damage to skin cells, leading to inflammation and potential DNA damage. However, other studies have found no significant adverse effects on the skin from the use of nano-particles in sunscreen.

It is important to note that the majority of research on the safety of Zinc Oxide nano-particles has been done in vitro or on animal models, and more studies are needed to fully understand their potential impact on human skin. Additionally, the safety of these particles may also depend on factors such as their size, shape, and surface coating.

In terms of photoaging, Zinc Oxide is an effective blocker of UVA rays, which are known to contribute to premature aging of the skin. However, the potential impact of nano-particles on photoaging is still not fully understood.

Overall, while there are potential concerns about the use of Zinc Oxide nano-particles on the skin, more research is needed to fully understand their safety and potential risks. It is always important to use sunscreen as directed and to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns about its use.

1. What are Zinc Oxide nanoparticles?

Zinc Oxide nanoparticles are tiny particles of Zinc Oxide, a white, inorganic compound commonly used in sunscreens and other cosmetic products.

2. How do Zinc Oxide nanoparticles affect the skin?

Zinc Oxide nanoparticles are generally considered safe for use in skincare products. However, they can potentially cause skin irritation or allergic reactions in some individuals.

3. Are Zinc Oxide nanoparticles toxic?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that Zinc Oxide nanoparticles are toxic when used in skincare products. However, more research is needed to fully understand their potential effects on human health.

4. Can Zinc Oxide nanoparticles penetrate the skin?

It is possible for Zinc Oxide nanoparticles to penetrate the skin, but the extent to which they do so is still being studied. Some studies have shown that they can enter the deeper layers of the skin, but further research is needed to determine if this has any negative effects on human health.

5. Should I avoid skincare products containing Zinc Oxide nanoparticles?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that Zinc Oxide nanoparticles are harmful to human health when used in skincare products. However, if you have a known allergy or sensitivity to Zinc Oxide, it is best to avoid products containing this ingredient. It is also important to follow proper sunscreen application techniques, such as reapplying regularly and using a sufficient amount, to minimize potential risks.