Why do ferrofluids form peaks in a magnetic field?

• Thread starter Oomph!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ferrofluid
In summary, the ferrofluid loses its magnetization when frozen, but it forms peaks in the magnetic field. This is due to the particles' connection to each other and their high entropy.
Oomph!
Hello.

I read that nanoparticles of ferrofluid are ferromagnetic, but they do not retain magnetization, so better is superparamagnetic. So, what is true? Is the particles ferromagnetic or paramagnetic? Why they don't retain magnetization?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The stuff I have (Ferrotec) is a colloidal dispersion of magnetite and is macroscopically paramagnetic, even though the magnetitie particles are ferromagnetic (ferrimagnetic? I don't know enough to say). In any case, the ferrofluid loses it's response when I freeze it.

As best I can tell, the macroscopic paramagnetic behavior is a result of dispersing the ferro- or ferri-magnetic magnetite.

Thank you very much. And I have one more question. If I drop magnet on ferrofluid, the magnet will wrap to ferrofluid. Is any method how can I it unwrap from ferrofluid?

Oomph! said:
Thank you very much. And I have one more question. If I drop magnet on ferrofluid, the magnet will wrap to ferrofluid. Is any method how can I it unwrap from ferrofluid?

It's best to keep a surface between a magnet and any magnetic particles, such as a piece of clear plastic. It is often impossible to get everything cleaned up.

Following Andy's hint you could try freezing the magnet; this will not harm the magnet. Then let the magnet sit until it returns to room temperature, and clean it with your favorite solvent.

Ok, so better is not try drop magnet to ferrofluid, yeah? :D

Ferrofluid in magnetic field forms peaks. I read that it is the best variant to the lowest energy of magnetic energy and all system (but not for surface tension). So, it is nice, but I still don't understand to much. So, I think that you know about ferrofluid a lot, so I want to ask you: why the ferrofluid makes peaks? why the particles don't go near to magnet and stay there? it can be better for energy.

Oomph! said:
Ferrofluid in magnetic field forms peaks. I read that it is the best variant to the lowest energy of magnetic energy and all system (but not for surface tension). So, it is nice, but I still don't understand to much. So, I think that you know about ferrofluid a lot, so I want to ask you: why the ferrofluid makes peaks? why the particles don't go near to magnet and stay there? it can be better for energy.

I worked in a group that was using ferrofluids as part of a carbon nanotube growth process. I'm only knowledgeable to the extent that it was interesting. The work was primarily experimental, so the theory of the ferrofluids was not discussed when I was paying attention.

However, note that iron filings also form clumps with peaks ... so it is probably just the connection of one end to the next, with greater entropy and lower energy from the peaked distribution.

Somebody may have written a paper about this ... try Google Scholar with a few carefully selected search terms!

Oomph! said:
Ok, so better is not try drop magnet to ferrofluid, yeah? :D

It's called the 'normal field instability":

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~ye..._Instability/EngelEtAl_1DRosensweigInstab.pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OVCM23dvbeW4IMg&bvm=bv.71126742,d.aWw&cad=rja

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0304885387900576

Likes 1 person

1. What are nanoparticles of ferrofluid?

Nanoparticles of ferrofluid are tiny magnetic particles that are suspended in a liquid carrier, usually oil or water. They are typically less than 100 nanometers in size and can be manipulated by external magnetic fields.

2. How are nanoparticles of ferrofluid made?

Nanoparticles of ferrofluid are typically made through a chemical synthesis process, where tiny magnetic particles are coated with surfactants to keep them from clumping together. They can also be made through physical methods such as evaporation or milling.

3. What are the applications of nanoparticles of ferrofluid?

Nanoparticles of ferrofluid have a wide range of applications, including drug delivery, magnetic data storage, and biomedical imaging. They can also be used in the development of new electronic and optical devices.

4. Are nanoparticles of ferrofluid safe for human use?

The safety of nanoparticles of ferrofluid depends on their specific composition and intended use. Some studies have shown that certain types of nanoparticles may have harmful effects on human health, so it is important to carefully evaluate the potential risks before using them in any application.

5. How do nanoparticles of ferrofluid interact with external magnetic fields?

Nanoparticles of ferrofluid are able to align themselves with an external magnetic field, which can be controlled to manipulate their movement and behavior. This allows for precise control and targeting in various applications, such as drug delivery or magnetic separation.