Solid disk radius of gyration

In summary, the acceleration of a solid disc rolling down a ramp is given by: a=g[ sinθ – F/Ncosθ ].
doner
1. A solid disc of radius r, is rolling down a variable incline (a ramp). Show that the acceleration of the centre of mass, C is given by:

a=g[ sinθ – F/Ncosθ ].
I have done this as shown below.

N is the normal reaction and F is friction.
N = mgcosθ
F = µN = µmgcosθ

mgsinθ – F = ma
mgsinθ – µmgcosθ = ma
a = g[ sinθ – µcosθ ]

but µ = F/N

a=g[ sinθ – F/Ncosθ ]

2. Determine an expression for the value of F/N where the only unknowns are the angle θ, the radius r and radius of gyration k.

I have tried this question and can’t get the right answer and need some help please.
I know
T = Iα
I = mk2 also for a solid disk I = 0.5mr2
α = a/r
m=N/gcosθ
Can anyone help with this question please?

Physics news on Phys.org
doner said:
1. A solid disc of radius r, is rolling down a variable incline (a ramp). Show that the acceleration of the centre of mass, C is given by:

a=g[ sinθ – F/Ncosθ ].
I have done this as shown below.

N is the normal reaction and F is friction.
N = mgcosθ
F = µN = µmgcosθ

mgsinθ – F = ma
mgsinθ – µmgcosθ = ma
a = g[ sinθ – µcosθ ]

but µ = F/N

a=g[ sinθ – F/Ncosθ ]
I find this question quite strange, since you should have no trouble finding the acceleration directly without using F/N. In any case, while your answer is correct, the method is not. You assume that friction equals µN, but this is not true in general. Remember this is static friction, so F is less than (or possibly equal to) µN.

But you don't need to use µN at all; just stick to:
N = mgcosθ
mgsinθ – F = ma​
and combine these two.

2. Determine an expression for the value of F/N where the only unknowns are the angle θ, the radius r and radius of gyration k.

I have tried this question and can’t get the right answer and need some help please.
I know
T = Iα
I = mk2 also for a solid disk I = 0.5mr2
α = a/r
m=N/gcosθ
Forget the radius of gyration; you don't need it. Combine the torque equation (T = Iα) with the force equation (mgsinθ – F = ma) and you can solve for the acceleration. And then find F/N.

i have combined it but i get F/N = 1/3 TAN@
But the question wants an expression with r and k in it also.

If the disk is uniform, that's the correct answer. The only thing that I can think of is to pretend that you don't know if the disk is uniform or not. Then you can write the rotational inertia in terms of the radius of gyration and solve for the acceleration, then F/N. Then you'd have r and k in your answer.

Why don't you try asking your lecturer, maybe she can help!

1. What is the solid disk radius of gyration?

The solid disk radius of gyration is a measure of the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation for a solid disk. It is similar to the concept of center of mass, but instead focuses on the distribution of mass around a specific axis.

2. How is the solid disk radius of gyration calculated?

The solid disk radius of gyration can be calculated using the formula K = √(I/m), where K is the radius of gyration, I is the moment of inertia, and m is the mass of the disk. This formula takes into account the shape and mass distribution of the disk.

3. What is the significance of the solid disk radius of gyration?

The solid disk radius of gyration is important in understanding the rotational behavior of objects, such as disks or wheels, in physics and engineering. It can also be used in designing and optimizing various mechanical systems.

4. How does the solid disk radius of gyration differ from the hollow disk radius of gyration?

The solid disk radius of gyration takes into account the entire mass of the disk, while the hollow disk radius of gyration only considers the mass at the outer edge of the disk. This means that the solid disk radius of gyration will always be smaller than the hollow disk radius of gyration for the same object.

5. Can the solid disk radius of gyration change?

Yes, the solid disk radius of gyration can change if the mass distribution or shape of the disk is altered. However, for a solid disk with a constant mass and shape, the radius of gyration will remain constant.