Can eating too many limes cause stomach problems and kidney stones?

• Thread starter dumbobie
  • Start date
In summary, the author likes lime on toast but warns against eating too many. Sugar will not melt lime juice, and lime juice contains mostly citric acid which is not a major contributor to urinary citrate.
dumbobie
I don't buy lime juice sold at supermarket, I buy limes themselves, and cut them in some small slices, put in a glass some spoons of sugar, pour hot water in, then 'throw' some slices in, stir them all around, cool it down, and sip.
My problem is that I always eat all of those lime's slices, because they are sweet in that glass of sugar water. Will eating so many lime create stomach cancer ? Even when I toaste my bread, I also put on top some slices of lime. What will happen in our body, blood when something sour like lime enters ?

Biology news on Phys.org
lol! Stomach cancer from limes? I think you are overreacting. I like to do the same thing, but with no sugar and less lime, with icy cold water. I never thought of limeade! I'll have to make it tomorrow... of course with cold water.

You like lime on your toast? :yuck: Sounds too wet. I don't like my toast very wet.

Don't worry about it man.

Hm.. I thought you asked about the benefits of eating all the slime's lice(s), but evidently, I was wrong..

I'd think it is not very good for your teeth, the acid and sugar.

dumbobie said:
What will happen in our body, blood when something sour like lime enters ?
You don't have to worry about curdled blood! :approve: Don't worry, lime juice won't get into your bloodstream.

The stomach and GI tract absorbs the chemicals and water in the same manner as every other food.

You'd be surprised how sour a coke is, I believe it is around pH 3. We should do some comparative testing with a pH-meter :wink:

Who is talking about Coke? And why do you relate sourness to pH?

DaveC426913 said:
Acids are sour, they have a low pH. In lime fruit, two common acids are ascorbic (Vit C) and citric acids. Limes have a pH range between http://www.thejcdp.com/issue001/gandara/causes.htm [Broken]. Coke is also acidic reportedly containing http://truthminers.com/hoaxarticles/coke.htm [Broken] and phosphoric acid with an overall pH of http://www.coca-cola.com.au/about_dietary.asp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but how does any of that info help the OP?

How many people wonder whether they get stomach cancer from drinking coke. The company would have a big law suit up its tail if it would. The only connection between danger and limes I can make is low pH.

Thank you, I will stop eating limes I think, because my right kidney is in pain whenever I repeatedly drink up to 2-3 glasses of lime juice I made. I guess I may have a stone in there, I am a little worried.

By the way, Mk, if you use icy cold water from the start, sugar won't melt your juice still gets sour.

Sugar will melt my juice?? AHhH!

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, but how does any of that info help the OP?

I was answering you're question (see below)
DaveC426913 said:
Although those pH levels may sound low, our stomach normally handles pH of this range and neutralize them.

A good rule of thumb is to eat foods in moderation. Limes are quite healthy, but too many limes can cause problems. This reference(1), describes the healthful benefits of eating limes and also the harmful ones of eating too many limes.

There are mixed opinions on risk of forming kidney stones. The above reference does subscribe to this idea, however here is another reference(2) that
refutes it.
1st ref
Limes should not be used in excess. The alkaline salts of the lime juice neutralize the free uric acid and precipitate it. It has therefore, been found that its excessive use may cause the formation of renal calculi.
2nd ref
lime juice contains mostly citric acid and does not increase urinary citrate substantially.
Since dumbobie is feeling stomach pain, yes limes can cause this feeling, so that is reason enough to stop eating them until you stomach pain subsides. After that, if you like limes, try eating in moderation.

1. What happens if you eat up all the limes?

If you eat up all the limes, you may experience digestive issues such as stomach pain or diarrhea. Limes contain citric acid which can irritate the digestive system if consumed in excess.

2. Is it safe to eat up all the limes?

In moderation, eating limes is generally safe. However, consuming too many limes can lead to negative effects on your health. It is important to practice moderation when consuming any food, including limes.

3. Are there any health benefits to eating up all the limes?

Limes are a good source of vitamin C and have antioxidant properties, which can help boost the immune system and protect against diseases. However, eating too many limes can outweigh these benefits and may harm your health.

4. Can eating up all the limes help with weight loss?

Limes are low in calories and can be a healthy addition to a balanced diet. However, eating up all the limes will not directly lead to weight loss. It is important to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, as well as exercise, for sustainable weight loss.

5. How many limes can I safely consume in a day?

The recommended daily intake of limes is no more than 1-2 limes per day. Consuming more than this amount can lead to negative effects on your health. It is important to listen to your body and practice moderation when consuming limes.