What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
I could try faxing them. That way they'll get there before they get cold.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I could try faxing them. That way they'll get there before they get cold.
Mmm! Honey, let's chew on this paper as soon as it gets here... You're mean! (but clever)

Ivan Seeking said:
I threw together some very tasty scrambled eggs the other night. I added the usual dash of oregano, red pepper, garlic salt, cilantro, pepper, a tiny bit of cumin, and onions, but what made it unusually good was a thin layer of dill flavored havarti cheese.

They were about the best eggs that I've ever made!
Ooooh, that does sound good! Fax me some!

I've really gotten into dill lately.

I've never added so much "stuff" to eggs before! Wow, sounds yummy.

I'm going to be spending the rest of the evening baking cookies. A bit early for Christmas cookies, but the last day of class for my students is this week, and they've been such a great group this semester that I decided I'm going to treat them with goodies for the last day of class. :approve: My lab will get the leftovers, so I figure everyone's going to have a very good Wednesday. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Ooooh, that does sound good! Fax me some!

I've really gotten into dill lately.
I still have some dill left. Should I fax your the florets or the seeded heads? I hate to fax out the florets, since they are so flavorful in chili relishes. If I fax you the seeded heads, I'll have more of the flavorful flowers to can with.

wolram said:
Found it
http://www.tesco.com/superstore/frames/default.asp?buttons=&url=/superstore/frames/main.asp

Dried soya mince.

Hob
Instructions:
To serve 4:

Re-hydrate 200g of dry mince with 500-600ml of boiling water, leave for 5

minutes, then add to your recipe.
It's a vegetarian meat alternative. It's tasteless, but is supposed to have a "meat-like texture".

TVP
TVP or textured vegetable protein, was one of first meat analogue products to emerge, over 30 years ago. Then and now it is often used by the food industry in vegetarian and non-vegetarian food products, but can also be bought in ingredient form from health food stores and supermarkets and is often called dried soya mince.A by-product of the soya oil industry, TVP is made from the remaining soya flour once the oil has been extracted. Very low in fat and a good source of fibre, it comes as dried chunks, mince or flakes, to which you add water before using in a recipe. There’s no flavour to it, but its sponge like texture means it marinates and absorbs flavours well in cooking, and it does have a realistic meat-like texture, especially in traditional mince dishes such as lasagnes and spaghetti Bolognese.

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/fruitveg/vegetarian/articles/0,,164321_175730,00.html

Wolram, what is happening to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
I still have some dill left. Should I fax your the florets or the seeded heads? I hate to fax out the florets, since they are so flavorful in chili relishes. If I fax you the seeded heads, I'll have more of the flavorful flowers to can with.
I've never had the florets, just the sprigs.

turbo-I think Wolram is in need of a food intervention. :bugeye:

Evo said:
I've never had the florets, just the sprigs.

turbo-I think Wolram is in need of a food intervention. :bugeye:
I'm not sure how to handle this! I know that the English are food-challenged, but how can I apply a French-Canadian/Irish patch so that Woolie will end up with actual food to eat?

Dill florets are rich and rewarding, whereas the weed (leaves) are bland and flat. Can I get a long-distance fish-slap (like a cattle prod) to pull this together?

By the way, for any PF sister that has not rented the DVD version of "Dead River Rough Cut", you NEED to get with the program. It is the definitive guide to a good marriage. Please trust me on this one.

Mmm...dill is yummy!

I got some cookie baking done tonight. I have a small gingerbread army...I cut my recipe to just a THIRD of what I usually bake, and I still have way too many (they haven't been dressed yet)...then again, a few have birth defects and amputations (I can only imagine the battle that went on in the oven to result in those injuries :uhh:). Since these are for the med students I teach, I'm wondering if I should give them little bandages and crutches? :biggrin: I also have a ton of coconut macaroons now. And, there are still two more batches of cookie dough in the fridge (are there any cookie recipes for anything less than 5 dozen cookies at a time? I think everyone in my department is going to love me on Wednesday when I bring in these cookies...or maybe I should just send them around to all the classrooms on the floor I'm teaching on :biggrin:).

turbo-1 said:
I'm not sure how to handle this! I know that the English are food-challenged, but how can I apply a French-Canadian/Irish patch so that Woolie will end up with actual food to eat?

Coblers, i will set to and make my own mouth watering dish, a great cook like me finds ways to make do.

wolram said:
Coblers, i will set to and make my own mouth watering dish, a great cook like me finds ways to make do.

I don't think even a master chef could make do with dehydrated soy crumbles. :yuck: I think this needs to be the secret ingredient on an Iron Chef episode! :devil:

It sounds like something you should use like tofu.

Moonbear said:
I don't think even a master chef could make do with dehydrated soy crumbles. :yuck: I think this needs to be the secret ingredient on an Iron Chef episode! :devil:

It sounds like something you should use like tofu.

It is cooking now, i have used onion, garlic, chili, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes,
chili beans, crushed black pepper, coriander a veg stock cube, garam masala, ginger, a test taste is encouraging.

The secret of making some thing out of nothing is the spices.

Last edited:
From all the ingredients listed, it seems like you could have made a pretty decent meal without the dehydrated soy crumbles. You have relegated the soy to mere place-holder status in the casserole, and could easily have replaced that with zucchini or eggplant or cardboard beer coasters. It sounds like the stuff you made could have been served on a bed of rice or noodles. If you have not tried it, get some Basmati rice. It has a rich, nutty flavor that goes well with stir-fries and curry dishes.

wolram said:
It is cooking now, i have used onion, garlic, chili, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes,
chili beans, crushed black pepper, coriander a veg stock cube, garam masala, ginger, a test taste is encouraging.

The secret of making some thing out of nothing is the spices.
Reminds me of "rock soup". :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Mmm...dill is yummy!

I got some cookie baking done tonight. I have a small gingerbread army...I cut my recipe to just a THIRD of what I usually bake, and I still have way too many (they haven't been dressed yet)...then again, a few have birth defects and amputations (I can only imagine the battle that went on in the oven to result in those injuries :uhh:). Since these are for the med students I teach, I'm wondering if I should give them little bandages and crutches? :biggrin: I also have a ton of coconut macaroons now. And, there are still two more batches of cookie dough in the fridge (are there any cookie recipes for anything less than 5 dozen cookies at a time? I think everyone in my department is going to love me on Wednesday when I bring in these cookies...or maybe I should just send them around to all the classrooms on the floor I'm teaching on :biggrin:).
I think bandages and crutches would be very funny!

Evo said:
I think bandages and crutches would be very funny!
The icing "stitches" on the Shrek gingerbread man were a pretty good touch, too.

I use TVP a lot. On its own it has a rather nutty flavor, but can quickly take on the flavor of what ever you cook it with.

Evo said:

:rofl: Exactly the same thought ran through my mind when I read that description.

Evo said:

That was one of my favorite stories when I was little! :approve:

Moonbear said:
I'm going to be spending the rest of the evening baking cookies. A bit early for Christmas cookies, but the last day of class for my students is this week, and they've been such a great group this semester that I decided I'm going to treat them with goodies for the last day of class. :approve: My lab will get the leftovers, so I figure everyone's going to have a very good Wednesday. :biggrin:

Awww Moonbear you are the best prof ever, what a nice thing to do! My class at university is only 18 people so one morning one of the profs brought us breakfast! And somehow we all ended up with advent calenders...I'm not sure who those were courtesy of but it was nice! I'm thinking now it was to soften the blow of the evil lab finals they have been throwing at us this week :P

scorpa said:
Awww Moonbear you are the best prof ever, what a nice thing to do! My class at university is only 18 people so one morning one of the profs brought us breakfast! And somehow we all ended up with advent calenders...I'm not sure who those were courtesy of but it was nice! I'm thinking now it was to soften the blow of the evil lab finals they have been throwing at us this week :P

See, I don't have to be nice to make up for exams...my students don't get any exams. Maybe that's why I like them so much: no grading! :biggrin: Though, I think they must already be in final exam panic mode for their other classes, because they seemed to dive after the caffeinated sodas before the snacks and cookies! :rofl: I baked so many cookies, I had enough leftover for my whole department...everyone loved me today. :biggrin: (And anyone who trudged into work through the snow today deserved treats.)

Astronuc said:
Eating a BlueBunny Eggnog Ice Cream Sandwich. It's pretty good.

Is that like Evo's catnog? :yuck: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Is that like Evo's catnog? :yuck: :rofl:

I have not idea. She hasn't tried it on me yet.

Mmmmm, the office animal killer just brought me some deer tenderloin he cooked. WOW, it's excellent!

The girl in the cube next to mine refused to try it, she said she's sure there are still parts of the animal on his bumper. She said it was road kill. :rofl:

The flavor and texture of deer always reminds me of good beef liver. Now I'm craving liver and onions. But all I can ever find anymore is thick frozen slabs. I'm going to have to go to a real butcher shop to get some decent thinly sliced fresh liver. :cry:

Oooh catnog...

Last edited:
Mmmmm! Venison. I struck out this year. The too-warm weather this fall meant that almost everything except trees and some berry bushes were still vegetative into December, and the deer didn't have to forage much. It's hard to find deer when they can sleep comfortably all day.

We started to have an Indian summer, then WHAM, we're having the worse winter in the 14 years I've lived here and it's not even winter yet! They're saying we're going to get another 5" of snow tonight. This is very unusual here.

ALERT ALERT!

Food dilema!

It will probably be snowing when I leave work so I don't want to drive to the store and all I have in the fridge is a bunch of pork necks. (don't ask)

I was originally going to make some soup, but I just got through eating the last pot of soup I made and I'm sick of soup.

What else can I do with these? I have canned tomatoes, a dozen different types of beans, some pasta.

They are pretty meaty and Dr Foofer is pretty excited, he's been camping in front of the fridge waiting for them to come out.

Cube the pork (small) and either stir-fry it in a wok or in a pretty hot cast-iron pan with peanut oil, chopped onions and green peppers, salt and pepper. Mix in some curry powder and serve over noodles.

That's a pretty quick meal, and just the smells from the stir-fry ought to get your taste buds going. For variety, you might want to include snow peas, broccoli, brussels sprouts or some other vegetable with a distinctive flavor.

Alternately, how about 'porc au vin'?

Cube porks, chopped onions, some kind of smoked meat for flavor if avaible, a bit garlic, seasoning, whatever. fry until the onions are a bit glazed then pour some ounces of cheap red wine on it until the mass is partly covered. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add some sauce thickener, whatever you call it at the end. Serve with rice, mashed patatoes, couscous, spaghetti, whatever is around.

turbo-1 said:
Cube the pork (small) and either stir-fry it in a wok or in a pretty hot cast-iron pan with peanut oil, chopped onions and green peppers, salt and pepper. Mix in some curry powder and serve over noodles.

That's a pretty quick meal, and just the smells from the stir-fry ought to get your taste buds going. For variety, you might want to include snow peas, broccoli, brussels sprouts or some other vegetable with a distinctive flavor.
This sounds great, but I don't have any veggies. :frown:

Andre said:

Cube porks, chopped onions, some kind of smoked meat for flavor if avaible, a bit garlic, seasoning, whatever. fry until the onions are a bit glazed then pour some ounces of cheap red wine on it until the mass is partly covered. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add some sauce thickener, whatever you call it at the end. Serve with rice, mashed patatoes, couscous, spaghetti, whatever is around.
Oh, I have the ingredients for this!

Evo said:
This sounds great, but I don't have any veggies. :frown:
You don't have fresh staple vegetables (onion, green pepper, garlic, etc) on hand? I am confused. :confused: How can you cook without them? I'd feel like I was handcuffed if I didn't have at least those 3 fresh vegetables available, not to mention potatoes, pastas, canned and dried beans and our fresh-frozen garden vegetables. If you've got meats and the fresh staple vegetables, a stir-fry is just minutes away. You can whip it up while the egg noodles are cooking.

2 food-thread demerits for being unprepared!

turbo-1 said:
You don't have fresh staple vegetables (onion, green pepper, garlic, etc) on hand? I am confused. :confused: How can you cook without them? I'd feel like I was handcuffed if I didn't have at least those 3 fresh vegetables available, not to mention potatoes, pastas, canned and dried beans and our fresh-frozen garden vegetables. If you've got meats and the fresh staple vegetables, a stir-fry is just minutes away. You can whip it up while the egg noodles are cooking.

2 food-thread demerits for being unprepared!
:cry: Since I'm all alone, I just don't keep as much fresh produce on hand as I used to. By the time I get off from work, I'm too tired to stop at the store.

I have one potato, some onions and a few baby carrots.

I'm not going to tell you that I've been known to eat cold soup right out of the can, the condensed kind, not the "ready to eat". :redface: Did you know that Cream of Mushroom soup eaten out of the can has the consistency of cold snot?

evo said:
Andre said:

Oh, I have the ingredients for this!

Then, just try it, I'm convinced that you won't be disappointed. The orginal recipe is about "cocq au vin" of course, but with pork it works too. The seasoning is called 'bouquet garni' and should contain cloves and bay laurel leafs.