How do I differentiate y = x^2/1-x^2 correctly?

• Thread starter Hollysmoke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about differentiating the function y=x^2/1-x^2 and the correct derivatives being y' = (2x)/(1-x^2)^2 and y''=(2+6x^2)/(1-x^2)^3. The person mentions using the quotient rule and the correction of squaring the denominator in the final derivative.
Hollysmoke
I just wanted to make sure I differentiated this correctly before I started graphing it:

y=x^2/1-x^2

y' = (2x)/(1-x^2)^2

y''=(2+6x^2)/(1-x^2)^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Hollysmoke said:
I just wanted to make sure I differentiated this correctly before I started graphing it:

y=x^2/1-x^2

y' = (2x)/(1-x^2)^2

y''=(2+6x^2)/(1-x^2)^3

I don't think that it is quite correct. I believe you are missing a term for your y' derivative (I haven't checked your y''). How did you differentiate? Using the quotient rule?

Yes, I used the quotient rule:

y'= (1-x^2)(2x)-(-2x)(x^2) / (1-x^2)
y'= 2x-2x^3+2x^3 / (1-x^2)

Don't forget to square the denominator ;)

What is the equation for differentiating y = x^2/1-x^2?

The equation for differentiating y = x^2/1-x^2 is y' = (2x(1-x^2) - 2x^3)/(1-x^2)^2.

What is the process for differentiating y = x^2/1-x^2?

The process for differentiating y = x^2/1-x^2 is to use the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a quotient is equal to (the derivative of the numerator times the denominator) minus (the derivative of the denominator times the numerator), all divided by the square of the denominator.

Can this equation be simplified?

Yes, the equation y' = (2x(1-x^2) - 2x^3)/(1-x^2)^2 can be simplified to y' = 2x/(1-x^2) - 2x^3/(1-x^2)^2.

What is the domain of this equation?

The domain of y = x^2/1-x^2 is all real numbers except for x = 1 and x = -1, as these values would make the denominator equal to 0.

What does the graph of this equation look like?

The graph of y = x^2/1-x^2 is a hyperbola with a vertical asymptote at x = 1 and a horizontal asymptote at y = 1. The graph approaches the asymptotes but does not touch them.