How would a light saber really work?

• Thread starter Nicool003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a weapon similar to the ones seen in movies, but with a different approach. Some of the technologies that could be used include multiple EM wave sources, plasma, and lasers. However, there are also concerns about the practicality and effectiveness of these ideas.
Nicool003
well since this thread isn't in How Stuff Works yet, and it was put in Technology as a ''somewhat'' duplicate let's start off fresh.

I'll ask these questions although we discussed them a lot in the old PF for all those who haven't seen the thread I will start it off

"do you think it is possible"

"why"

"how"
"do you have any ideas as to how it would/should/could work?"

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are u kind of addicted to this stuff Nicool ?
J/K.
Well i remember lot of good ideas were presented in the original versions of this topic.

"do you think it is possible"
I personally think it is not possible as is (like in movies).
But a very similar weapon can be made.

"why"
Because there are lot of promising technologies that could be used

"how"
"do you have any ideas as to how it would/should/could work?"
The best idea i see so far is the idea of having more than a single EM wave source, that will make EM waves that cross at a certain (adjustable) point.
The EM wave itself will be harmless, but at the point of crossing of the two EM waves intersections between waves will happen to produce a new wave that is harmfull (only at that point).

Some technologies could be used to make several points, or maybe a line of those points.

True I like star wars...and the technology in it!

Yes in the last thread i believe FZ suggested plasma but as he said (and I quote)

"there are three problems"

1) The handle would get rather *hot*
2) It would glow like a dun and blind poor obi-wan
3) It would parry other sabers but at times would not be so "efficient"

And maybe ... it will be too heavy ?

perhaps but perhaps not. It could be another form of plasma or perhaps a type of laser. There were many ideas but I am pretty busy now and won't be on PF for long so I will post them later.

1. How does a light saber produce a blade of light?

A light saber uses a power source, usually a crystal, to generate a plasma which is then contained in a magnetic field. The plasma is then channeled through a series of focusing lenses to produce a blade of light.

2. Can a light saber really cut through anything?

While a light saber is a powerful weapon, it is not without its limitations. It can only cut through materials that are weaker than the plasma contained in the blade. For example, it would have no effect on materials like beskar or cortosis, which can withstand the heat and energy of a light saber.

3. How does a light saber handle collisions with other objects?

A light saber's blade is made of pure energy and can be highly unstable. However, the magnetic field surrounding the plasma helps to stabilize the blade and absorb any impact from collisions with other objects. The strength of the magnetic field can also be adjusted to make the blade more or less resistant to collisions.

4. Is it possible to deflect blaster bolts with a light saber?

Yes, it is possible to deflect blaster bolts with a light saber. The blade of a light saber is made of plasma, which is hot enough to vaporize the incoming blaster bolt. The magnetic field also helps to redirect the energy of the bolt away from the wielder.

5. Can a light saber be used as a tool for everyday tasks?

While a light saber is primarily used as a weapon, it can also be used as a tool for everyday tasks such as cutting through materials, welding, and even heating food. However, it requires a high level of skill and training to use a light saber safely for these purposes.