How does the uncertainty principle affect the behavior of photons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light and its lifespan, with different theories being presented. The topic of time dilation and its effect on light is also touched upon, with the idea that light is timeless being suggested. The concept of quantum weirdness and the behavior of photons is also discussed, with the idea that the entire path of a photon is the unit of behavior. The conversation ends with the suggestion that information can be transmitted without the factor of time or energy, potentially through the instant teleportation of photon states. The need for a better physical explanation of this concept is also mentioned.
billy_boy_999
light or radiation from a faroff galaxy seems to us to have been traveling for, let's say, 5 billion years - but does relativistic time dilation affect it? are the light waves themselves much younger? maybe only a few thousand years?

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange...I never thought of light having a lifespan. I assumed it never aged.

well the only reason it wouldn't age is because it has no mass...which is why i think time dilation must NOT affect it in any way...

i could rephrase it - does time dilation only affect mass? is light absolutely mass-less?

Photons in theory are ageless -

yogi is right!

yogi said:
Photons in theory are ageless -
I think maybe the word I would use is "timeless." I think the key to quantum wierdness may be a result of this. Ie, how does light "know" which slit to go through in the two slit experiment if the slit is closed after the light passes throuh...?

russ_watters said:
I think maybe the word I would use is "timeless." I think the key to quantum wierdness may be a result of this. Ie, how does light "know" which slit to go through in the two slit experiment if the slit is closed after the light passes throuh...?
Good point.Photon is somehow "aware" of the arrow of time and fundamental entropy law inspite of nonexisting time .This only shows that our spacetime concepts and our perception of it,are shaky and still need better clarification.
Photon obviously has (*somewhere*) book -keeping info resource of boundary conditions experimental set of our universe.QM currently can't explain this,but reflection of that phenomenon is built into its' equations.
Strong reason why Einstein considered QM to be incomplete theory.

The photon is not a little particle, rather uncertainty says it can't be separated out of its beam. So the entire path is the unit of behavior? So path "knows" conditions at both ends?

(added) If you look at simulations of Feynmann's sum over paths in simple cases, it sure looks like this is happening. The anthropocentric "knows" is replaced by "consider all possible paths and add them together".

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
The photon is not a little particle, rather uncertainty says it can't be separated out of its beam. So the entire path is the unit of behavior? So path "knows" conditions at both ends?

Not a "little" particle.That's for sure.Some interpretations of photon physics ,and that is what is bothering me (not just me) ,suggest that as long as it is in state of "travel" from the moment it is emmited to the moment it is absorbed ,it should be considered in a real physical sense located in its beam.But we can't know this without measurment!Even theoretical possibility of future tehnology to measure gravity field of propagating photon is still intaraction with its' path.And when photon interacts QM eqs formalism seems to indicate it can be split in many possible paths (pottential photons?). Than one path due to probability "wins" and original photon is reveiwed (becomes real) in one unit and proceeds travel (or it is absorbed so we lose information on it).Quite a headache to comprehand.
Feyman made some clowning on it by saying "photon snifs all possible paths and chosses right path".But it doesn't help me much in understanding.
I'm quite convinced that information can be transmited without "time" factor or perhaps even without energy expenditures,but the question remains how.
Not with concept of uniformly traveling photon ,but perhaps with instant teleportation of photons' states.How this happens must be better physicaly explained than just through the math formalism of boundary conditions.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds relative to each other. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are not absolute but are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does time dilation affect light?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that even though time may pass at different rates for different observers, the speed of light remains the same. This can result in time appearing to pass at different rates for objects traveling at different speeds.

3. What is the relationship between time dilation and gravity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity states that gravity is a result of the curvature of space-time. Therefore, the closer an object is to a source of gravity, the more it will experience time dilation. This means that time will pass slower for objects in stronger gravitational fields, such as near a black hole, compared to objects in weaker gravitational fields.

4. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured through experiments involving clocks. For example, atomic clocks on airplanes have been found to run slightly slower than identical clocks on the ground due to the difference in speeds. Additionally, the effects of time dilation can also be observed through astronomical observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects.

5. Is time dilation just a theoretical concept?

No, time dilation has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. It is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been observed in various phenomena, such as the decay of subatomic particles and the behavior of GPS satellites. Time dilation plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and has practical applications in fields such as space exploration and timekeeping.