FIRST: Highest & Lowest Root of f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 1

• Thread starter tomcenjerrym
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary: ln(x) is correct if x is an real number, but not if x is an irrational number. x^2+ 1 is correct if x is real and -1<x<1. -ln(x) is incorrect if x is an irrational number. x^2- 1 is incorrect if x is real and 1<x<2. x-ln(x) is incorrect if x is an irrational number. -x^2 is incorrect if x is real and 2<x<3. x^3- 2 is incorrect if x is real and 2<x<4. x^4+ 3
tomcenjerrym
FIRST
What is the HIGHEST root? If there is a highest root, are there available any LOWEST root? Say, what is the highest and lowest root of [tex]f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 1[/tex]?

SECOND
What happen if I sum the EVEN and ODD function? I don’t think I am a good on geometry.

THIRD
What is the integral of [tex]\frac {1}{x^2}[/tex] or [tex]\int\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]?

Is it [tex]\frac{x^{-2 + 1}}{-2+1} + C[/tex]?

Can I make it in natural logarithm [tex]ln[/tex] form?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Three you got right. As for One: (X-1)^2, what do you mean highest or lowest?

Sorry for not being careful. Now I understand what is meant by HIGHEST and LOWEST root. Say, for the following equation:

[tex]f(x) = x^2 - x - 6[/tex]

The highest root is [tex]x = 3[/tex] and lowest is [tex]x = -2[/tex].

In case of [tex]f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 1[/tex] or [tex]f(x) = (x - 1)^2[/tex] there is no highest and lowest root because the only available root is [tex]x = 1[/tex].

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Largest and smallest, not highest and lowest.

Why? Is it about interval?

No, it just a matter of the meaning of the words in English. If you talk about the highest root no one will know for sure what you mean. The largest root is better.

tomcenjerrym said:
FIRST
What is the HIGHEST root? If there is a highest root, are there available any LOWEST root? Say, what is the highest and lowest root of [tex]f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 1[/tex]?
Of a specific equation? If by "highest" you mean largest and by "lowest" you mean smallest, and the equation has a finite number of roots, then yes, it must have a largest and a smallest root. It happens that the polynomial you give x2- 2x+1= (x-1)2 has only a single root, x= 1, so that is both the largest and smallest root is 1.
On the other hand, the equation x2+ 1= 0 has only imaginary roots and so does not have a "largest" and "smallest" root- the field of complex numbers cannot be ordered.
Also, the equation sin(x)= 0 has an infinite number of roots, any multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex] and so does not have either a "largest" or "smallest" root.

(By the way, strictly speaking, an equation has "roots". A function has "zeroes": the roots of the equation f(x)= 0. But people are seldom that strict!)

SECOND
What happen if I sum the EVEN and ODD function? I don’t think I am a good on geometry.
What do you mean by "the" even and "the" odd functions? If you mean add an arbitrary odd and an arbitrary even function, you get a function that is neither even nor odd. Functions that are neither even nor odd are far more common than even or odd functions.

Have you considered the possibility that a function may be BOTH even and odd? It is possible!

THIRD
What is the integral of [tex]\frac {1}{x^2}[/tex] or [tex]\int\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]?

Is it [tex]\frac{x^{-2 + 1}}{-2+1} + C[/tex]?

Can I make it in natural logarithm [tex]ln[/tex] form?
You don't need natural logarithm: your first formula is correct. you have x-2 so you use "int of xn is [itex]\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/itex] as long as n+1 is not 0". The only time you need natural logarithm is when n+1= 0- in other words, when n= -1.

1. What is the highest root of f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 1?

The highest root of f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 1 is infinity. This is because the function is a quadratic with a positive coefficient for the x^2 term, meaning it will continue to increase without bound.

2. What is the lowest root of f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 1?

The lowest root of f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 1 is 1. This is because when the function is set equal to 0 and solved using the quadratic formula, x = 1 is the only solution.

3. How do you find the highest and lowest roots of a quadratic function?

To find the highest and lowest roots of a quadratic function, set the function equal to 0 and solve using the quadratic formula. The highest root will be infinity if the coefficient for the x^2 term is positive, and the lowest root will be the solution obtained from the quadratic formula.

4. Can a quadratic function have more than one highest or lowest root?

No, a quadratic function can only have one highest and one lowest root. This is because a quadratic function is a polynomial of degree 2, meaning it can have at most 2 real roots. If the function has a positive coefficient for the x^2 term, it will have one highest root and one lowest root. If the coefficient is negative, the roles of the highest and lowest roots will be reversed.

5. How can the highest and lowest roots of a quadratic function be used in real-world applications?

The highest and lowest roots of a quadratic function can be used to determine the maximum and minimum values of the function. This can be useful in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum profit or minimum cost in a business scenario. The roots can also be used to find the range of possible values for the function.