Ballistic pendulum and initial speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ballistic pendulum and finding the initial speed of the fired object in terms of the variables m, M, L, theta, and g. The solution involves using equations for momentum and mechanical energy conservation, as well as trigonometry to incorporate the angle theta. The conversation also includes expressions for the final bullet speed and the bob's height below the pivot point.
jaded18
In a ballistic pendulum an object of mass m is fired with an initial speed v_0 at a pendulum bob. The bob has a mass M, which is suspended by a rod of length L and negligible mass. After the collision, the pendulum and object stick together and swing to a maximum angular displacement theta as shown http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1010989/26/1010989A.jpg

Find an expression for v_0, the initial speed of the fired object.
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, M, L, and theta and the acceleration due to gravity, g.
_____
i know that there are two events. the first one is the inelastic collision, where momentum is conserved and mv = (m+M)(V) ... and V = mv/(m+M) ... and when the block swings up mechanical energy is conserved so that (K initial + U initial) = (K final + U final) and (0.5(m+M)V^2) = (m+M)g(h) ... and the bullet speed is ((m+M)/m)(sqrt 2gh) ... how do i incorporate this theta variable that the problem is asking for?

i am so confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe they want me to change h into terms using theta since the problem is not accepting the variable h ... but how do i do this?

jaded18 said:
maybe they want me to change h into terms using theta since the problem is not accepting the variable h ... but how do i do this?

use trig. when the pendulum as swung, how far below the pivot is the bob located? you have a right triangle with hypoteneuse L and angle theta.

i'm sorry but i don't see it ... i can say cos theta = adj/L and but then what's the 'adj'??

oh! wait .. so L-Lcos theta = h?

Last edited:
jaded18 said:
oh! wait .. so L-Lcos theta = h?

yes exactly.

thanks, it seems like you're always there for me when I'm stuck .. thanks again~

jaded18 said:
thanks, it seems like you're always there for me when I'm stuck .. thanks again~

:smile: no prob!

1. What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the initial speed or velocity of a projectile, such as a bullet or cannonball. It consists of a pendulum suspended from a rigid frame, with a target or catcher at the bottom. When a projectile hits the target, the pendulum swings upward, allowing for the measurement of the projectile's momentum.

2. How does a ballistic pendulum work?

When a projectile hits the target of the ballistic pendulum, it transfers its momentum to the pendulum, causing it to swing upward. The height of the pendulum's swing can be measured and used to calculate the projectile's initial speed using the principle of conservation of momentum.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In the case of a ballistic pendulum, the system includes the projectile and the pendulum. Therefore, the initial momentum of the projectile before impact is equal to the final combined momentum of the projectile and pendulum after impact.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum measurement?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum measurement can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and the weight and shape of the projectile. These factors can cause the measured initial speed to differ from the actual initial speed of the projectile.

5. What are some real-world applications of the ballistic pendulum?

The ballistic pendulum has several practical applications, including in the design and testing of firearms, determining the muzzle velocity of bullets, and measuring the impact of collisions in car accidents. It is also commonly used in physics classrooms as a demonstration of the principle of conservation of momentum.