Orbit Semimajor Axis and Eccentricity after increasing V

In summary, after a delta V of 400 m/s in a prograde burn, the new orbit's semimajor axis will be 7809 km, the eccentricity can be calculated using e=(sma-perigee)/sma or e=(apogee-sma)/apogee, and the next perigee altitude will depend on whether the new velocity is above or below the circular velocity at the new apogee/perigee.
ryank614
Question:

A space shuttle is in an orbit about the Earth. At its apogee, it uses thrusters and increases its velocity by 400 m/sec. What is the new orbit semimajor axis, eccentricity and how much will the next perigee altitude be increased?

Known:

Original semimajor axis: 7000 km -> a
Original eccentricity: 0.05 -> e
Earth's Radius: 6378 km
u= GxEarth's Mass=3.986x10[tex]^{5}[/tex]

What I have done so far:

I figured out the apogee and perigee of the orbit, as well as the velocity at the apogee before the firing of the thrusters.

i) apogee: a(1+e) = 7350 km
ii) perigee: a(1-e) = 6650 km
iii) velocity at apogee:

[tex]\sqrt{u*((2/r)-(1/a))}/[/tex] where r = apogee.

I got v=7.17 km/s

Now after the thrusters are fired, the new velocity is 7.57 km/s

Using [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = V[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]/2[/tex] - u[tex]/r[/tex] where r is the current position, aka the apogee and plugging [tex]\epsilon[/tex] into

a = -u[tex]/2\epsilon[/tex]

I found the new semimajor axis to be 7809 km. But then here is the problem. How do I find out the new eccentricity? Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There's 1 assumption you're making, and that's that your 400 m/s of delta V are in the prograde direction. You could fire your engines to accelerate away from the Earth instead, until your total velocity increased by 400 m/s. Or you could fire towards the Earth, or anywhere inbetween.

But I imagine they're expecting you to make this assumption. This means that after a delta V of 400 m/s in a prograde burn, your new velocity will momentarily be all tangental. This means that you're either still at apogee, or at your new perigee. Just compute circular velocity for that distance and see if you're above it (which means you're at perigee), or below it (which means you're at apogee). Your now know your apogee or perigee and your semi-major axis, so eccentricity should be easy to find: e=(sma-perigee)/perigee, or e=(apogee-sma)/sma

Last edited:
I should have said e=(sma-perigee)/sma

1. What is the relationship between orbit semimajor axis and eccentricity?

The orbit semimajor axis and eccentricity are two parameters that determine the shape and size of an orbit. The semimajor axis is the distance from the center of the orbit to its furthest point, also known as the apoapsis. Eccentricity, on the other hand, describes the shape of the orbit, with 0 being a perfect circle and 1 being a parabola. In general, as the eccentricity increases, the orbit becomes more elongated and the semimajor axis also increases.

2. What happens to the orbit when the semimajor axis is increased?

Increasing the semimajor axis of an orbit will cause the orbit to become larger, with the furthest point from the center (apoapsis) being farther away. This means that the orbit will take longer to complete one full revolution around the central body and will cover a larger area in space.

3. Does increasing the eccentricity affect the time it takes for an object to complete one orbit?

Yes, increasing the eccentricity of an orbit will also increase the time it takes for an object to complete one full revolution. This is because the object will spend more time at the furthest point from the center of the orbit, where it is moving slower due to the weaker gravitational pull.

4. How does the eccentricity affect the stability of an orbit?

The eccentricity of an orbit is directly related to its stability. A larger eccentricity means that the orbit is more elongated and the object will experience greater variations in speed and distance from the central body. This can make the orbit less stable and more prone to disruptions or collisions with other objects.

5. Can the orbit semimajor axis and eccentricity be changed after an object is already in orbit?

Yes, it is possible for the orbit semimajor axis and eccentricity to change after an object is already in orbit. This can happen due to external influences such as gravitational forces from other objects or changes in the mass of the central body. However, these changes are typically very small and do not significantly alter the orbit of the object.