Stem and leaf question basic stats

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats Stem
In summary, when creating a stem and leaf graph, the stem represents the larger values and the leaf represents the smaller values. This applies regardless of whether the data is in decimal form or not. Keep practicing to improve your understanding.
mr_coffee

Homework Statement

When constructing a stem and leaf graph I'm confused on how to label the stem and leaf still.

For example:
On page 20, number 12 in section 1.2:

The observations look like this:
.31 .35 .36 .36 .37 .38 .40 .40 .40
.41 .41 .42 ...

We were told to use repeating stems so I did the following:
3L|1
3H|56678
4L|000112222234
4H|5667888
5L|144
5H|58
6L|2
6H|6678
7L|
7H|5

L meaning (0,1,2,3,4)
H meaning (5,6,7,8,9)

Now the stem be the Tenths
The leaf be Hundredths?
because the stem is like .10 and the leafs are .01
That makes sense after someone explained it to me.

The Attempt at a Solution

But when I was looking at number 33 on page 31
the observations looked like this:

389 356 359 363 375 424 etc
now from this it looks like you would divide the steam and leaf like
38|9
35|69

I have the answers and the book did it as shown above.

What confuses me is that the book says the stem is the "ones" and the leaf is the tenths.

Wouldn't the stem be the Hundreds
and the leaf be the ones?
Because
3 is in the hundreds
8 is in the tens
9 is in the ones
so if they are breaking it up like 38|9
38 is in the hundreds
9 is in the ones correct?

So how would they get Stem being the ones and the leaf being the tenths?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to have a clear understanding of how to label data in a stem and leaf graph. I can understand your confusion regarding the labeling of stems and leaves, as it can be a bit tricky at first. Let me explain it in a way that may make more sense to you.

In a stem and leaf graph, the stem represents the larger values of the data and the leaf represents the smaller values. In the first example you provided, the data is already in decimal form, so it is easier to see that the stem represents the tenths place and the leaf represents the hundredths place. This is because the stem is the first digit after the decimal point and the leaf is the second digit after the decimal point.

In the second example, the data is not in decimal form, so it may be a bit more confusing. However, the same concept still applies. The stem represents the larger values, which in this case are the hundreds place, and the leaf represents the smaller values, which are the ones place. So, for the number 389, the stem is 38 (representing the hundreds place) and the leaf is 9 (representing the ones place).

I hope this explanation helps clarify any confusion you had about labeling stems and leaves in a stem and leaf graph. Remember, the stem represents the larger values and the leaf represents the smaller values, regardless of whether the data is in decimal form or not. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!

1. What is a stem and leaf plot?

A stem and leaf plot is a graphical representation of a data set in which the numbers are separated into a "stem" and "leaf" format. The stem represents the first digit(s) of the numbers, while the leaf represents the remaining digit(s). This allows for a quick and easy visualization of the distribution of the data.

2. How do you create a stem and leaf plot?

To create a stem and leaf plot, you first need to organize your data in ascending order. Then, you separate each number into its stem and leaf components. The stems are written in a vertical column, and the leaves are written next to their corresponding stem. Finally, you add a key to the plot to indicate the actual values represented by the stems and leaves.

3. What is the purpose of a stem and leaf plot?

The purpose of a stem and leaf plot is to provide a visual representation of the data set and its distribution. It allows for a quick comparison of different data sets and can also help identify outliers or any patterns in the data.

4. How do you interpret a stem and leaf plot?

To interpret a stem and leaf plot, you first need to identify the key to determine the actual values represented by the stems and leaves. Then, you can analyze the plot to see the range of values, the shape of the distribution, and any outliers. The closer the leaves are to the stems, the more similar the data points are, while a larger gap between leaves can indicate a wider range of values.

5. When is it appropriate to use a stem and leaf plot?

A stem and leaf plot is appropriate to use when you have a smaller data set and want to quickly visualize its distribution. It can also be useful in comparing multiple data sets. However, for larger data sets, a histogram or box plot may be more appropriate.