Estimating Photon Escape Time from Center of Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimated escape time for a photon from the center of the sun, using the sun's radius and the speed of light. The equation S=\frac{D}{T} is mentioned as a way to calculate this. The speaker also asks for help in solving the problem.
swickey
I have a question that I can't figure out. In the Sun, it takes several hundred thousand years for a photon released in the core to reach the surface. Use the speed of light and the radius of the sun to estimate the escape time for a photon from the center of the sun if there were no interaction.

The suns radius is 696,000km and light travels at 3 x10c/s...this is where I get lost. Can anyone help me?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation for relating distance, speed, and time?

[tex]S=\frac{D}{T}[/tex]

It's just a case of plugging the numbers into the equation.Russ would this qualify as a homework question?

1. How is the photon escape time from the center of the sun estimated?

The photon escape time from the center of the sun can be estimated using the formula t = R/c, where t is the escape time, R is the radius of the sun, and c is the speed of light. This formula assumes that the photons travel in a straight line from the center of the sun to its surface.

2. What is the radius of the sun?

The radius of the sun is approximately 696,340 kilometers or 432,450 miles. This is equivalent to about 109 times the radius of Earth.

3. How is the speed of light determined?

The speed of light is a constant value that is determined by the laws of physics. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second. This value has been measured and confirmed by numerous experiments.

4. Does the photon escape time vary at different points within the sun?

Yes, the photon escape time varies at different points within the sun. This is due to the fact that the density and temperature of the sun's interior increase as you move towards the center. These factors affect the speed of light and thus impact the escape time of photons.

5. How does estimating photon escape time from the center of the sun help in understanding the sun's structure?

Estimating the photon escape time from the center of the sun can provide valuable information about the density, temperature, and composition of the sun's interior. This, in turn, can help us better understand the processes that occur within the sun, such as nuclear fusion, and how these processes shape the sun's structure and behavior.