How do i calculate a normal force when gravity is not the only force involved?

In summary, the box will move to the right due to the normal force, but the vertical component of the pushing force is canceled and the weight is the only force left.
SamuraiDave
How do i calculate a normal force when gravity is not the only force involved??

Dear everyone,
This is my first post on the physics forum and I have a problem which I think relates to calculating the normal force (perhaps I'm wrong).

I'm programming a game and I have a particle which has a mass (M) - a scalar, velocity (V) -a 2d vector...The game has gravity (G) - a constant scalar value.

Also in the game is a line - (y=mx+c) which represents the surface or floor which the particle can rest on.

For now, imagine that the line is perfectly horizontal and the particle is resting on the line.
Due to gravity, the normal force is making sure the particles velocity remains at 0.

But, imagine another force (other than gravity) acting on the particle at a 45 degree angle...i.e. pushing the particle down and right.

My main question is, in this case, how would the particle move? It is obvious that not all of the force will be added to velocity (otherwise the particle would go through the line), as the sum of this force + gravity will be greater than the normal force.

I assume in this case the particle should move to the right, perpendicular to the normal force? but how? and how much?

Sorry if this is very difficult to visualize. I hope somebody can help, as this problem has been going through my mind a lot.

Cheers,

David

Physics news on Phys.org

from what I understand of your question you want to know what happens to a box, when it on a horizontal floor and a force acting on it's upper edge at a downward 45 degree angle (in this case towards the right). Is that correct?

If it is then the box will move to the right. If you decompose the vector into its components you will find that one is perpendicular to the floor, and the other is parallel to the floor. The one perpendicular to the floor does no work, the normal force due to the table will be the sum of the weight and the vertical component of the pushing force.

So the vertical forces cancel and you are left with a net force to the right (the parallel component of the pushing force).

Hope that makes sense and helps, am typing on iPod so is a bit wierd.

-spoon

spoon said:
If you decompose the vector into its components you will find that one is perpendicular to the floor, and the other is parallel to the floor. The one perpendicular to the floor does no work, the normal force due to the table will be the sum of the weight and the vertical component of the pushing force.

Hmmm, I understand how due to the normal force the vertical component of the pushing force will be canceled (as will the weight)...does this mean that the remaining horizontal component of the pushing force is the new horizontal velocity of the box, and that the vertical component is now zero?

he horizontal component is NOT the horizontal velocity (if the vector we are tslking about is a pushing force). The horizontal component will cause an acceleration given by f=ma (Newtons second law). The velocity of the box will depend on how long this force is exerted (and wether there is friction involved in the calculation).

The result is quit intuitive if you think about, say, pushing on the corner of an ice cube on a bench. It would move horizontally of course.

OK, got it now. thanks very much for the great help! :)

1. How do I determine the direction of the normal force when there are multiple forces acting on an object?

The direction of the normal force is always perpendicular to the surface that the object is in contact with. This means that if an object is on a flat surface, the normal force will be acting perpendicular to that surface.

2. Can the normal force be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than the force of gravity. This can happen when an object is on an inclined plane or when other external forces are acting on the object.

3. How do I calculate the normal force when the angle of the surface changes?

The normal force can be calculated using the equation N = mgcosθ, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the surface.

4. Can the normal force ever be negative?

No, the normal force can never be negative. It always acts in the direction perpendicular to the surface and can only have positive values.

5. How does the normal force affect an object's motion?

The normal force does not directly affect an object's motion. It is a reactive force that acts in response to other forces, such as gravity, and helps to keep an object in equilibrium.