Ellipse on x=y Axis: Find Standard Formula

In summary, the conversation is about finding the standard formula for an ellipse with foci at (1,1) and (-1,-1) and a major axis of 4 units. The formula is x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1 for an ellipse on the x-axis and y^2/a^2 + x^2/b^2 = 1 for an ellipse on the y-axis. The person asking for help is having trouble understanding the parametric form of an ellipse rotated by an angle, specifically the term involving the eccentricity.
scoradition
Hi every body

I have a bounce marks on a quistion that i know nothing about

its about the Ellipse

the Qustion is

Find the standerd formula of the eelips which has foci on ( 1,1) and ( -1,-1)

and it has a major axis with 4 units.

i found that the center in at the origin and a = 2 and i didnt know anything else
-----------

i know the ellips on x-axis which has a formula of x^2-h/a^2 + y^2-k/b^2 = 1
and the ellips on the y-axis which has a formula of y^2-h/a^2 + x^2-k/b^2 = 1

i know how to solve this types

but the one on the x=y axis i know nothing about it :(

can any 1 help me with this qustion or at least give me the standerd formulla of this type of ellipse :(

waiting ur helps..

Physics news on Phys.org
scoradition said:
Hi every body

I have a bounce marks on a quistion that i know nothing about

its about the Ellipse

the Qustion is

Find the standerd formula of the eelips which has foci on ( 1,1) and ( -1,-1)

and it has a major axis with 4 units.

i found that the center in at the origin and a = 2 and i didnt know anything else
-----------

i know the ellips on x-axis which has a formula of x^2-h/a^2 + y^2-k/b^2 = 1
and the ellips on the y-axis which has a formula of y^2-h/a^2 + x^2-k/b^2 = 1

i know how to solve this types

but the one on the x=y axis i know nothing about it :(

can any 1 help me with this qustion or at least give me the standerd formulla of this type of ellipse :(

waiting ur helps..

Welcome to PF.

Maybe have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#Equations

Specifically:
Parametric form of an ellipse rotated counterclockwise by an angle ϕ:

hey man ...

englsih is not my language it is hard for me to find this thing

can u please give me the steps i should follow ?

:( waiting ur help

1. What is an ellipse on the x=y axis?

An ellipse on the x=y axis is a type of conic section curve that is formed when a plane intersects a cone at a specific angle. It is essentially a stretched circle that is symmetrical along the x=y line.

2. How do you find the standard formula for an ellipse on the x=y axis?

The standard formula for an ellipse on the x=y axis is (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. These values can be determined by finding the distance from the center of the ellipse to the furthest points on the curve along the x=y axis.

3. What is the significance of the standard formula for an ellipse on the x=y axis?

The standard formula for an ellipse on the x=y axis is important because it allows us to easily graph and analyze the properties of the curve. The values of a and b in the formula can tell us the shape, size, and orientation of the ellipse.

4. Can an ellipse on the x=y axis have a negative value for a or b?

No, the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes must be positive values for an ellipse on the x=y axis. This is because the formula (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1 requires the values of a and b to be positive in order to create a valid ellipse.

5. How is an ellipse on the x=y axis different from an ellipse on the x-axis or y-axis?

An ellipse on the x=y axis is symmetrical along the line x=y, while an ellipse on the x-axis or y-axis is symmetrical along their respective axes. This means that the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes for an ellipse on the x=y axis will be equal, while they will be different for an ellipse on the x-axis or y-axis.