Is e^ix multivalued, roots of unity, etc

In summary, the sum of all the roots of unity is equal to zero because when you expand the polynomial x^n - 1 = 0, the coefficient of z^(n-1) is zero, meaning the sum of all the roots is zero. This holds true for both even and odd numbers of roots. Additionally, the product of all the roots is equal to either positive or negative z, depending on the oddness or evenness of n. These rules for sums, products, and sums of products are directly derived from Viète's formulas, which can be easily obtained by multiplying out the factorization of the polynomial. Furthermore, e^(ix) can have multiple values when x is not purely imaginary, but it is usually used
okkvlt
questions:

why is the sum of all the roots of unity equal to zero?
z^(1/n)=z1,z2,...zn
z1+z2+...+zn=0
It's obviously true when there's an even number of roots, (because each root has a partner that is pi radians away and therefore the negative of the other root). but i can't figure out why this is true when there's an odd number of roots. Even stranger, the sum of all the binomial combinations of products of roots always equals zero, regardless of the number of roots that are chosen.

for example:
z^(1/4)=w1,w2,w3,w4
w1*w2+w1*w3+w1*w4+w2*w3+w2*w4+w3*w4=0
w1*w2*w3+w1*w2*w4+w1*w3*w4+w2*w3*w4=0

z^(1/5)=w1,w2,w3,w4,w5

w1*w2+w1*w3+w1*w4+w1*w5+w2*w3+w2*w4+w2*w5+w3*w4+w3*w5+w4*w5=0
w1*w2*w3+w1*w2*w4+w1*w2*w5+w1*w3*w4+w1*w3*w5+w1*w4*w5+w2*w3*w4+w2*w3*w5+w2*w4*w5+w3*w4*w5=0
w1*w2*w3*w4+w1*w2*w3*w5+w1*w2*w4*w5+w1*w3*w4*w5+w2*w3*w4*w5=0

And, for z^(1/n)=w1,w2,w3, ... ,wn:
the product of all the roots equals z if n is odd and -z if n is even.
I understand the case for positive real z, z^(1/2)=w1,w2 then w1 is negative and w2 is positive so w1*w2=-z.
It makes sense that the product of the roots should equal either positive or negative z. But what does the oddness or evenness of n have to do with the product of the roots?

Why are these rules for sums/products/sums of products true?
Also, I am sure that viete's formulas must derived from these rules, but how?

Another question:

Something I've been thinking about:

can e^(ix) have more than one value?

my reasoning comes from the rule (a^b)^c=a^(b*c) and the existence of roots of unity

applying this rule to e^(ix),
e^(ix)=(e^i)^x

e^i=cos(1)+isin(1)
given that trig functions have a period of 2pi,
(e^i)=cos(1+2pi*n)+isin(1+2pi*n) n is an integer.
therefore,
(e^i)^x=(cos(1+2pi*n)+isin(1+2pi*n))^x
(e^i)^x=cos(x+x*2pi*n)+isin(x+x*2pi*n)
e^(ix)=cos(x+x*2pi*n)+isin(x+x*2pi*n)

if x is not an integer, then e^(ix) has more than one value. if x is an irrational number, then e^(ix) is every point on the unit circle

An example:
using the approximation pi=22/7
e^(ipi)=(e^i)^(22/7)

e^(ipi)=cos(22/7+44pi/7)+isin(22/7+44pi/7)
e^(ipi)=cos(22/7+88pi/7)+isin(22/7+88pi/7)
e^(ipi)=cos(22/7+132pi/7)+isin(22/7+132pi/7)
e^(ipi)=cos(22/7+176pi/7)isin(22/7+176pi/7)
e^(ipi)=cos(22/7+220pi/7)+isin(22/7+220pi/7)
e^(ipi)=cos(22/7+264pi/7)+isin(22/7+264pi/7)
e^(ipi)=cos(22/7+44pi)+isin(22/7+44pi)

e^(ipi) has 7 values using the approximation with 7 as the bottom number, and only the last is (approximately) -1.

using the approximation pi=110000000000000/35014087480217, there are 35014087480217 values of e^(ipi), and each one is part of the unit circle.

as the fraction approaches the limit there will be infinitely many values of e^(ipi), and thus the identity e^(ipi)=-1 isn't really special.

Somebody please explain, how am i wrong? why does the rule (a^b)^c=a^(b*c) not apply to euler's formula?

Also, something that i think is related (the problem comes also comes from the same rule) but was never explained to me

Suppose i have the following equality:
x^1=x

doing the substitution
1=n*(1/n)

x^(n*(1/n))=x

using the rule (a^b)^c=a^(b*c), i get 2 equations that should be equivalent

x^1=(x^n)^(1/n)
x^1=(x^(1/n))^n

if i do the power first and the radical second, i get x and the roots of unity.
if i do the radical first and the power second, i get the roots of unity raised to the power, therefore just x.

So then (a^b)^c does not equal (a^c)^b
But by the communativity of multiplication a^(b*c)=a^(c*b), so the order of powers shouldn't matter.

Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
okkvlt said:
You can write down a closed form formula for the sum. Hint:
It's a geometric series

Why are these rules for sums/products/sums of products true?
Also, I am sure that viete's formulas must derived from these rules, but how?
I'm confused -- all of the previous questions are direct consequences by Viète's formulas. Are you asking how Viète's formulas are derived? That's easy: you simply multiply out the factorization of the polynomial.

Incidentally, the product of the roots can be done in essentially the same way as you did with the sum of all the roots in the even case.

can e^(ix) have more than one value?
First off, e^z is usually used as shorthand for exp(z), which is not a multivalued function.

However, if you really do intend it as complex exponentiation, then e^(ix) is in fact multivalued. (And really does have multiple values in the case that x is not purely imaginary)

Remember, complex exponentiation is, by definition, given by the formula
[tex]a^b = exp(b \log a)[/tex]

Yes the combinatorials add up to zero because they are the coefficients of the polynomial x^n - 1 = 0 (eg. zero).

More simply, [itex](z- a_1)(z- a_2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(z- a_n)= z^n\cdot\cdot\cdot- (a_1+ a_2+\cdot + a_n)z+ (a_1a_2\cdot\cdot\cdot a_n)= z^n- 1[/itex]. Since the coefficient of z in [itex]z^n-1[/itex] is 0, so is the sum [itex]a_1+ a_2+\cdot\cdot\cdot +a_n= 0[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
More simply, [itex](z- a_1)(z- a_2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(z- a_n)= z^n\cdot\cdot\cdot- (a_1+ a_2+\cdot + a_n)z+ (a_1a_2\cdot\cdot\cdot a_n)= z^n- 1[/itex]. Since the coefficient of z in [itex]z^n-1[/itex] is 0, so is the sum [itex]a_1+ a_2+\cdot\cdot\cdot +a_n= 0[/itex].

Minor correction, but you started it from the wrong end, its the coefficient of z^(n-1) that matters here. =]

Another way is to multiply the sum by one of the roots. This will rotate all roots by that roots argument, so you get back the same sum, ie:
S*e^ix=S
S(e^ix-1)=0
we can choose e^ix=/=1 (unless its the first root of unity, where the theorem fails anyway), so S=0.

okkvlt said:

It seems to me very related to a regular polygon being a closed figure; which is what you get if you add these vectors geometrically. Though probably that is not really a proof.

1. Is e^ix multivalued?

Yes, e^ix is multivalued because it is a complex number with both a real and imaginary component. The magnitude and direction of the complex number can change depending on the value of x.

2. What are the roots of unity?

The roots of unity are the complex numbers that, when raised to a certain power, result in 1. These roots are evenly spaced around the unit circle in the complex plane and have important applications in mathematics and physics.

3. How do you find the roots of unity?

The roots of unity can be found by using the formula e^(2πi/n), where n is the desired number of roots. This formula produces n equally spaced points around the unit circle, each of which is a root of unity.

4. Why are the roots of unity important?

The roots of unity have many important applications in mathematics and physics, including in Fourier analysis, number theory, and signal processing. They also have connections to geometry and symmetry, making them a fundamental concept in many fields of study.

5. How are the roots of unity related to e^ix?

The roots of unity are closely related to e^ix because they can be expressed as powers of e^(2πi/n). This relationship allows for the use of complex numbers to solve problems involving roots of unity, and it also highlights the connection between complex numbers and trigonometry.