Need a negative voltage from a 0-60V power supply

In summary, the conversation discusses powering a circuit with a power supply and the need for a middle rail and a -5V supply. The idea of using an inverting voltage regulator is suggested as a solution.
atlbraves49
I will have to power the following circuit:

http://www.tekscan.com/images/flexi-circuit-new.jpg

I assume I can just hook the (-) terminal to the -9V input, the (+) terminal to the +9V input, set the power supply to 9V, and then toss a resistor between the -9V and the -5V?

Would that work? And what value resistor would i need between the -9V and -5V?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First, on your figure, you should show the top opamp power supply pin as +9V and the bottom supply pin as -9V. The way you have them now is unconventional.

Second, I think you mean to say that you will set your 0-60V single power supply to 18V, and you want to know the best way to make a middle rail be ground, as well as make a -5V supply. This is discussed a bit in your other thread, I believe. Turning a single supply into split supplies is not a great option, but can be done if the impedances and powers involved lend themselves to a resistor divider with adequate capacitor decoupling.

Since your only powering an op amp, just use an inverting voltage regulator. I actually just finished hooking one up to an instrumentation amp a couple hours ago.

altbraves, a two opamp, single supply design would get around this bias issue.

What is a negative voltage?

A negative voltage is an electrical potential that is lower than the reference point or ground. It is commonly represented with a negative sign and indicates the direction of electron flow in a circuit.

Why would I need a negative voltage from a 0-60V power supply?

There are various reasons why one might need a negative voltage from a 0-60V power supply. One common reason is to power certain electronic components such as amplifiers, transistors, and operational amplifiers that require both positive and negative power supplies to function properly.

Can I use a regular power supply to generate a negative voltage?

No, a regular power supply typically only provides positive voltages. To generate a negative voltage, you would need a specialized power supply or use a voltage inverter circuit.

How do I convert a 0-60V power supply into a negative voltage source?

To convert a 0-60V power supply into a negative voltage source, you can use a voltage inverter circuit or a DC-DC converter. These circuits use components such as diodes, capacitors, and inductors to convert the positive voltage into a negative one.

Are there any risks associated with using a negative voltage from a power supply?

Yes, there are potential risks involved when working with negative voltages. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use appropriate protective equipment when handling negative voltages. Additionally, some electronic components may be damaged if the negative voltage is not regulated properly.