Safety Margins in PWRs: 10 CFR 50.46 & Beyond

• Thread starter kollier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, Petrangeli says that the safety limit for cladding in nuclear power plants is 2200 F(1204 C), but he also mentions that fissuring of the cladding can start at 800-900 C. The French REPNa tests show that the cladding can survive large strains, but the concern is ballooning of the cladding as opposed to breach.
kollier
As it is stated in 10 CFR 50.46 maximum clad temperature should not exceed 2200 F(1204 C)
but I have read in "Nuclear Safety" by G. Petrangelli that fissuring of the cladding starts at about 800-900 C.
I want to know the safety limit or margin for cladding in NPPs.
I could't find any regulation or standard other than those mentioend in 10 CFR ,but if fissuring starts at 800 C why the safety margin is not about 800 C?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If by fissuring of the cladding, one means breach, i.e. cracking, and generally axial or longitudinal cracking (as opposed to circumferential fractures), one should understand that the breach, while releasing fission products, does not affect the coolability of the fuel rods. In other words, the breach occurs at low strain levels, which means that fuel rods mostly maintains it's geometry and coolability.

I'd be interested to see the discussion by G. Petrangeli, because PCI (pellet-cladding interaction) can occur under normal operating conditions, and that is why the utilities operate nuclear fuel with restrictions on power ascension rates. On what page is the cladding temperature limit mentioned?

In addition, the French REPNa tests show that cladding can survive large strains, but that is dependent on local burnup and the quantity and distribution of hydrides in the Zr-alloy cladding.

The 1204 C test has to do with cladding oxidation and embrittlement in the reflood stage of a LOCA. The concern there is ballooning of the cladding as opposed to breach, and the potential of breakaway oxidation.

I found the book here.
http://books.google.com/books?id=5X...a=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#PPR6,M1

There is a useful reference from OECD.
http://books.google.com/books?id=DC...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#PPA27,M1

It was my mistake, Petrangeli doesn't say that fissuring "starts" at 800-900C.
It is written in page 21 of the book:
"The first consequences of uncontrolled overheating
of the core are the fissuring of the fuel
claddings (at about 1073–1173K (800–900C)), while
their normal operating temperature is about 623K
(350C)) and their subsequent oxidation reaction
with water or with steam (above 1473K (1200C))
which generates heat and hydrogen."

Moreover Bengt Pershagen in his book, Light Water Reactor Safety, on page 51 (3.4.6 Metal-water reaction) is written:
"At temperatures 880-900 C, clad oxidation begins to increase[ not starts, as Astronuc mentioned] leading to the formation of hydrogen and the release of heat ...
The reaction rate depends strongly on the temperature and on the thickness of the oxide deposite. At 1200C the heat release is about as large as the average nuclear power in the fuel during normal operation.
Within 15 minutes, about 15% of the cladding is oxidized..."

By the way I know that the situation is critical at 1200C but isn't it important not to pass 800C?

1. What are safety margins in PWRs?

Safety margins in PWRs (pressurized water reactors) refer to the amount of additional protection or cushion built into the design and operation of the reactor to ensure safe operation even in the case of unexpected events or accidents. They are an essential aspect of nuclear safety and are regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) in the United States.

2. What is 10 CFR 50.46?

10 CFR 50.46 is a specific regulation of the NRC that outlines the requirements for safety margins in PWRs. It specifies the criteria for the design and operation of the reactor to ensure that it maintains adequate safety margins under normal and abnormal conditions.

3. How are safety margins determined in PWRs?

The safety margins in PWRs are determined through a combination of design calculations, analyses, and experiments. These calculations take into account various factors such as the reactor's core design, fuel performance, cooling system, and operator actions. The results are then verified through tests and simulations to ensure that the reactor meets the safety requirements outlined in 10 CFR 50.46.

4. Are safety margins enough to prevent accidents in PWRs?

While safety margins play a crucial role in preventing accidents in PWRs, they are not the only line of defense. Other safety measures, such as redundant systems, emergency response plans, and operator training, also contribute to the overall safety of the reactor. Additionally, the safety margins themselves are periodically reviewed and updated to ensure they remain sufficient to address potential hazards.

5. What is the future of safety margins in PWRs?

The NRC continues to review and update the safety requirements for PWRs, including 10 CFR 50.46, to ensure they remain effective in protecting the public and the environment. As technology and research advance, safety margins may also be improved to further enhance the safety of PWRs. Ultimately, the goal is to continuously improve and maintain the safety margins to ensure the safe operation of PWRs for years to come.