Torque Units: Help Understanding kg force cm

In summary, according to the physics gurus, the unit for torque is kilogram force centimeter. This unit is equivalent to 1 ounce force inch. Torque is measured in Newton meters, and can be used to do things like lift weights.
ramonegumpert
Dear Physics Gurus, o:)

I am trying very hard to understanding the units used to measure torque.

I know there is a unit called kilogram force centimeter, and 1 ounce force inch = 0.072007790632 kg force cm.

My problem is I do not understand what these units mean. I could only find definition for Kilogram-force and not Kilogram-force-cm.
for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram-force

How much weight can a motor lift if it is rated 3.6 kg force cm and also rated at 200 rpm? Does it mean it can lift a maximum of 3.6 kg at a speed of 200 rpm? And how many centimeters will it lift per minute?

As you can see, i am kinda confused :confused: and cannot 'feel' how much weight can be lifted given the torque unit of kg force cm.

Please could you help me.

Best regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
Torque = Force x moment arm
In your case, consider 3.6 kg force with a 1.0 cm moment arm (you could use any combination - I picked this one only to make it easy).
3.6 kg force = 35 N
1.0 cm = 0.01 m
So, you have 0.35 Nm of torque.
How you use that torque is up to you. You can now use a pulley with r = 4.0 m and you can lift 0.35 Nm/4.0 m = 0.088 N, or you can use a pulley with r = 0.12 m and you can lift 0.35 Nm/0.12 m = 2.9 N. The difference will be the velocity with which you can lift.

Here is a sample of how to use torque in Newton meters (Nm) on your car engine

Power (watts) = torque (Nm) x RPM x 2 pi/60
Horsepwer = watts/746

Example 100 Nm torque and 2200 RPM = 23,038 watts = 30.9 HP

TVP45 said:
Torque = Force x moment arm
In your case, consider 3.6 kg force with a 1.0 cm moment arm (you could use any combination - I picked this one only to make it easy).
3.6 kg force = 35 N
1.0 cm = 0.01 m
So, you have 0.35 Nm of torque.
How you use that torque is up to you. You can now use a pulley with r = 4.0 m and you can lift 0.35 Nm/4.0 m = 0.088 N, or you can use a pulley with r = 0.12 m and you can lift 0.35 Nm/0.12 m = 2.9 N. The difference will be the velocity with which you can lift.

Dear TVP45,
Thank you very much for your explanation which has fully clarified my doubt. I am very greatful.

Thanks also to Bob S for the useful example.

Cheers!

Best regards
Ramone

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What are the common units of torque?

The most commonly used unit of torque is the Newton-meter (N-m). Other common units include kilogram-force centimeter (kgf-cm), pound-force feet (lbf-ft), and ounce-force inches (ozf-in).

How do I convert kg force cm to other torque units?

To convert kg force cm to other torque units, you can use the conversion factor of 1 kgf-cm = 0.0981 N-m. For example, to convert 10 kgf-cm to N-m, you would multiply 10 by 0.0981, giving you a result of 0.981 N-m.

Why is torque important in science?

Torque is an important concept in science because it helps us understand how forces act on objects to cause rotation. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics to calculate the effects of forces on rotating objects.

Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of rotation, causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction. Negative torque can also occur when the distance from the axis of rotation is negative, meaning the force is applied on the opposite side of the axis.