Pro Engineer Files: Find Complex CAD Models for Mechanical Engineering

In summary: I am a Mechanical Engineering student, and I am taking a class on CAD this semester. We are using Pro/E and I was wondering if anyone could send me a file of a simple machine, like a drill or saw.In summary, the student requests a model of a machine. The expert does not have a model to send.
aeroplant
Hey there,

I'm a mechanical engineering student and right now we have CAD lessons. We use Pro Engineer Wildfire (some student edition) and I'd love to see a quite complex model of something. Could anyone send me a CAD file of an plane or a wing or something alike?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cool website, thank you. There's no model for Pro Engineer though.

What do you hope to get from a model if one is sent to you? Just to be up front, there is no way I am sending you one of mine.

Fred, seeing how a component is modeled by someone more experienced in CAD helped me to improve. As there are lots of ways to model a part, some better than others to maintain desgin intent and a truly parametric model, having good models are vital to learn from.

Op really the best way for you to begin learning is to make simpleish solid models as many different ways as you can and try to use all the features. If you are getting structured lessons in it I wouldn't bother trying to find complex models to look at yet.

I don't have any Pro/E files as I much prefer SolidWorks.

Same with me, i used pro/E two years back. I generally use inventor.

As chris said, start messing around. Learn how to make simple basic features. A complex model is nothing but a combination of several basic ones.

Looking at overly complicated models is not a really good way to learn IMO. If you trust the person doing the model then perhaps, but usually, complicated models will just confuse you. Personally I would tell someone to learn how to be a designer first and then worry about how to model something.

Look for tutorials and books. Take it slow and progress slowly. For example, you want to learn more about surfacing? Look for a surfacing tutorial or examples that concentrate on just surfacing.

Thanks for all the replies. Well the lessons I take are quite good, but we're just designing not too exciting things. I just wanted to test my grafics card and mess around with a "real" model of something.
Professional models might not even work since I use the "student edition" of Pro/E.

That is a good point I do not believe that the student version and professional version can exchange files.

I taught myself pro-E and in my opinion. One of the most important, and often least discussed topics is creating 2-D drawings for communicating with a machinist. It is not hard to create complicated 3-D components but getting proper Y14.7 drawing is a whole other story

Your right, student and professional can't exchange files.

You can however take the professional file into Uni, and open it and convert it to student using the University Edition, which is only available at Uni, i have done this many times.

I have asked for Pro/E files of aircraft and aerofoils on another forum and no one came up trumps. I wanted the for FEA and CFD.

So, long shot, but anyone with aircraft. aerofoil and automotive Pro/E, Catia, Solidworks or Inventor files i would love a few to apply CFD and FEA too.

On another note, we learned Pro/E, but its the most hated program here at Uni. Pro/E is taught in Year 2, Catia year 1, and you can do assignments in Pro/E or Catia, most choose Catia as it seems so much easier.

I have both Pro/E student(Given by Uni) and Pro/E commercial (Purchased), got the commercial version and then told Uni give them out in year 2, and they would not refund, so stuck with both and there are no advantages at my level.

You do realize that FEA and CFD require different types of model, and the kind of thing that people would be willing to send (most likely a solid model) is likely to be useless for both.

Last edited:
We use the same model here for both analyses. The part comes in for the FEA, then it is subtracted out of a bigger chunk for the CFD.

Are the models you get in assemblies of the system? I'm willing to bet they will be fairly complex models that can be quickly simplified to the level of complexity needed by the analysis.

If you are just given a solid model of the shape then I don't really see any meaningful FEA that can be run. I guess that you could use that geometry for CFD though as you don't really need anything else apart from the surface.

I doubt anyone would be willing to give away full assembly CAD models over the interweb though.

minger said:
We use the same model here for both analyses. The part comes in for the FEA, then it is subtracted out of a bigger chunk for the CFD.
Same here.

1. What is a Pro Engineer file?

A Pro Engineer file is a CAD (Computer-Aided Design) file created using the software Pro/ENGINEER. It is used for creating 3D models of mechanical parts and assemblies for use in the field of mechanical engineering.

2. How can I find complex CAD models for mechanical engineering?

There are several ways to find complex CAD models for mechanical engineering. One way is to search online for websites or databases that offer free or paid CAD models. Another way is to reach out to colleagues or professional networks for recommendations. You can also attend trade shows or conferences where companies often showcase their CAD models.

3. What are the benefits of using Pro Engineer files in mechanical engineering?

Pro Engineer files offer several benefits in mechanical engineering. They allow for the creation of detailed and precise 3D models, which can be easily modified and updated. They also enable engineers to perform simulations and analyses, saving time and resources. Additionally, Pro Engineer files can be easily shared and collaborated on with colleagues, making the design process more efficient.

4. Can Pro Engineer files be opened in other CAD software?

Yes, Pro Engineer files can be opened in other CAD software, such as SolidWorks or AutoCAD. However, there may be some compatibility issues, and the file may need to be converted to a different format before opening.

5. Are there any limitations to using Pro Engineer files in mechanical engineering?

While Pro Engineer files offer many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. One limitation is the learning curve of the software, which may take some time to become proficient in. Additionally, Pro Engineer files can be quite large, which may require powerful hardware and software to handle. Finally, the cost of the software may be a limitation for some individuals or companies.