Invariant of a helicoid, like an electron but not quite.

In summary, a helicoid is a surface with an interesting geometrical invariant. It is similar to an electron in that it is invariant under rotation, but not quite the same. The "change in phase" for a loop that encircles the axis of the helicoid is always 2*pi, regardless of the angle the axis makes with respect to the plane. This is due to the helicoid's ability to be rotated by any multiple of 2*pi and still remain unchanged. The analogy with an electron can be modified to be more exact.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Invariant of a helicoid, like an electron but not quite.

Consider the surface of a helicoid whose axis extends to infinity, see for example:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=helicoid&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

This surface has an interesting geometrical invariant. Consider a helicoid whose axis intersects an infinite plane. Let a perpendicular to this plane be arbitrarily labeled up. Consider the "change in phase" for a loop that lies in the plane and that goes once around the axis of the helicoid. I posit the "change in Phase" is 2*pi regardless of the angle the axis of the helicoid makes with respect to the plane? I have not defined the "phase" of a helicoid, let me try to do that now. In cylindrical coordinates (of proper orientation) the surface of a helicoid is :

z = phi

If we add 2*pi to phi we have in effect rotated the helicoid by an angle of 2*pi. The surface is invariant to rotation by any multiple of 2*pi. Because of this I suspect the above is true, namely:

"the "change in Phase" is 2*pi regardless of the angle the axis of the helicoid makes with respect to the plane?"

So in one way a helicoid is like an electron but not quite. Can you modify this picture to make the analogy with an electron more exact?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the "change in phase" for a loop that lies in the plane and that goes once around the axis of the helicoid
Unless I'm misunderstanding you (which is quite possible!), isn't it impossible for such a loop of the helicoid to actually lie within the plane?

muppet said:
Unless I'm misunderstanding you (which is quite possible!), isn't it impossible for such a loop of the helicoid to actually lie within the plane?

Yes. The loop both lies in the plane that the axis of the helicoid intersects and encircles the axis of the helicoid. All points not on the surface of the helicoid can be given a phase greater then 0 and less then 2*pi in a well defined way, namely by what angle must the helicoid be rotated about its axis so the surface coincides with the point in question.

Thanks for your input.

What's so remarkable about being invariant under rotation by 360 degrees?

I know quite a few things that are.. like most 3d objects. But the state vector of an electron, being a half-spin particle, isn't one of them. That'd be invariant under a 720 degree rotation.

1. What is an invariant of a helicoid?

An invariant of a helicoid refers to a characteristic or property that remains unchanged under certain transformations or operations. In this case, it refers to a specific property of a helicoid structure that is similar to an electron but has distinct differences.

2. How is a helicoid related to an electron?

A helicoid is a three-dimensional curved surface that has a spiral or helix shape. It is often compared to an electron because of its similar spiral structure, but it is not an actual electron. It is a mathematical concept used in fields such as physics and geometry.

3. What makes the invariant of a helicoid unique?

The invariant of a helicoid is unique because it is a specific characteristic that distinguishes it from other curved structures. It is not found in other shapes or objects and is a defining feature of helicoids.

4. How is the invariant of a helicoid relevant in science?

The invariant of a helicoid is relevant in science because it helps us understand and analyze the properties of this specific shape. It is used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to study the behavior and characteristics of helicoids.

5. Can the invariant of a helicoid be changed or manipulated?

No, the invariant of a helicoid cannot be changed or manipulated. As an invariant, it remains constant and unchanged regardless of any transformations or operations applied to the helicoid. It is a fundamental characteristic of this structure.