Circuit with 2 loops, find the current in one of the loops

In summary, The circuit consists of one battery and four resistors with E = 19V, R1 = 12W, R2 = 2W, R3 = 15W, and R4 = 2W. The total current in the circuit is 2.47A. To calculate the current through R1, the 14ohm loop, the voltage across the branch must be known. Using the formula I = V/R, with R being the equivalent resistance of the branch, the current through R1 can be found.
jenzao

Homework Statement

A circuit composed of one battery and four resistors is arranged as shown in the attached pic.

E = 19 V

R1 = 12 W
R2 = 2 W
R3 = 15 W
R4 = 2 W

Calculate the current I1 through R1?

Homework Equations

V=IR (obviously)

The Attempt at a Solution

first i got the net current in this circuit by doing the following..
i summed resistors in series to get 14ohm on first loop and 17ohm on second loop.
then i applied resistance in parallel rule :
Req = (1/R1) + (1/R2)
= 7.69ohm = Rtotal
then I = V/R = 2.47A = total current in the circuit.

Then to get the current on the 14 ohm loopm i multiplied 2.47 by (14/17) . ( i think this is where I am erring, but can't see why this doesn't work??)

= 2.03A (wrong)
thanks for any help!

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    1 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
you're making this too complicated.

the voltage between the two nodes must be the battery voltage.

so if you know the voltage across a resistor (or an Eq Res) you can find the current through it.

use I = V/R, where R is the equivalent resistance of the branch and V is the voltage across the branch.

What is a circuit with 2 loops?

A circuit with 2 loops, also known as a two-loop circuit, is an electrical circuit that contains two separate paths for the flow of current. It typically consists of two loops of wire connected to a power source and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

How do you find the current in one of the loops?

To find the current in one of the loops, you can use Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of the currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving the junction. By applying this law to the junction where the loop intersects with the rest of the circuit, you can calculate the current in that loop.

What factors affect the current in a circuit with 2 loops?

The current in a circuit with 2 loops is affected by several factors, including the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the components in the circuit, and the type and arrangement of the components. Additionally, the current in one loop can also be affected by the current in the other loop, as they are connected in the same circuit.

Is the current the same in both loops of a circuit with 2 loops?

No, the current in each loop of a circuit with 2 loops can be different, depending on the components and arrangement of the circuit. However, the total current flowing through the entire circuit must be the same, as dictated by the law of conservation of charge.

What is the purpose of using a circuit with 2 loops?

A circuit with 2 loops can be used for a variety of purposes, such as controlling the flow of current through different components, creating complex circuits with multiple pathways, and providing redundancy in case one loop fails. It can also be used for practical applications, such as in telecommunications and power distribution systems.