Natural convection cooled enclosure

In summary, the conversation discusses a transformer in a box cooled by natural convection and how to determine the amount of heat leaving the enclosure. They mention the area of the enclosure, the heat output of the transformer, and the ambient air temperature. The conversation suggests using FEA or numerical analysis to accurately model the heat transfer.
CruiserFJ62
I have a transformer in a box that is cooled using natural convection. There are louvered openings on the box to pull cool air in the bottom and let heated air out of the top. How do I determine how much heat is actually leaving the enclosure? Info that I have is the area of the enclosure, the amount of heat that the transformer is putting out, ambient outside air temp. Any suggestions or websites that would get me going?

Engineering news on Phys.org
At steady state the amount of heat going out is the amount of heat generated by the transformer. This is fundamental. Are you perhaps more interested in the actual inside temperatures?

Yes, what is the temp inside the enclosure? I am trying to determine if the natural convection through the louvers can pull enough heat out to keep the transformer below its rated operating temp. Any ideas?

Is this something you could model using FEA? It seems to me the problem would be a little too complex for an analytical approach.

That would be tough to do without some kind of numerical analysis. You could maybe ballpark it with Archimedes' principle and Newton's law of heating but that would be based on some big assumptions.

Yea, you might be within an order of magnitude.

1. What is a natural convection cooled enclosure?

A natural convection cooled enclosure is a type of enclosure that uses the surrounding air to dissipate heat generated by electronic components, without the use of any additional cooling mechanisms such as fans or heat sinks.

2. How does natural convection cooling work?

Natural convection cooling works by creating a temperature gradient within the enclosure, with the heat-generating components at a higher temperature than the surrounding air. This temperature difference causes the air to rise, carrying the heat away from the components and allowing cooler air to take its place.

3. What are the benefits of using a natural convection cooled enclosure?

Using a natural convection cooled enclosure can be more cost-effective and energy-efficient compared to using traditional cooling methods. It also eliminates the need for moving parts such as fans, reducing the risk of mechanical failure.

4. What factors affect the effectiveness of natural convection cooling?

The effectiveness of natural convection cooling can be influenced by factors such as the size and shape of the enclosure, the temperature difference between the components and the surrounding air, and the amount of ventilation or openings in the enclosure.

5. Are there any limitations to using natural convection cooling?

Yes, natural convection cooling may not be suitable for high-power or high-heat applications, as it may not provide enough cooling capacity. It also relies on the ambient air temperature, so it may not be as effective in hot environments.