Learning to Incorporate Flash Videos into XHTML Webpages

In summary, the individual is familiar with XHTML web design and wants to learn how to incorporate basic videos into their webpages. They are looking for a tutorial or book on how to code flash and are aware of the hierarchy in web design. They are also seeking recommendations for sources to learn how to embed flash into XHTML.
jeff1evesque
Hello,

I am familiar with the basic concept of XHTML web design. However, I would like to learn how to incorporate basic videos on my webpages. I've designed a http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jmm42/FINAL/main.html" that is nothing more than simple text and background images. So I was wondering if anyone knows how to incorporate flash videos into pages such as mine. Is there a good tutorial available online (or perhaps a book), or could someone outline how to code flash? I am aware there is a hierarchy in web design- that my HTML is the backbone that provides the structure, and CSS provides the style of the page. If I wanted to use flash, would I code the structure in the XHTML file, and the style in the CSS?

Thanks,JL

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Flash is completely standalone. You use Adobe Flash to create the .swf files and then import them using object tags and the like into you xhtml.

If you have access to the software, I highly recommend flashkit.com.

Is there anyway you could (or anyone else) recommend me to a source (perhaps a book) that will teach me how to embedd flash into XHTML?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Levesque

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of incorporating flash videos into XHTML webpages?

The purpose of incorporating flash videos into XHTML webpages is to enhance the visual appeal and interactivity of the webpage. Flash videos can add dynamic and interactive elements that can engage and entertain visitors, making the webpage more memorable and engaging.

2. What are the benefits of using flash videos over other video formats?

Flash videos have several benefits over other video formats. They are known for their small file size, making them easier to load and play on webpages. They also have a high level of interactivity, allowing for user engagement and customization. Flash videos are also compatible with most web browsers, making them accessible to a wider audience.

3. How can I incorporate flash videos into my XHTML webpage?

To incorporate flash videos into an XHTML webpage, you will first need to have a flash video file in the .swf format. Then, you can use an <object> tag or an <embed> tag to insert the video into your webpage. You can also use a Flash player plugin or an HTML5 video element to play the video.

4. Are there any potential issues or drawbacks to using flash videos in webpages?

One potential issue with using flash videos in webpages is that they may not be supported on all devices, such as mobile devices. Additionally, some web browsers may have security settings that block flash videos, so it is important to provide alternative content for those who cannot view the video. Another drawback is that flash videos require a specific plugin or software to play, which may not be available on all devices.

5. How can I optimize flash videos for better performance on my webpage?

To optimize flash videos for better performance on your webpage, you can reduce the file size of the video by compressing it. You can also use image and video optimization techniques to ensure that the video doesn't slow down the webpage's loading time. Additionally, you can use a preloader to display a loading message while the video is buffering to improve the user experience.