What are some fun activities for a Society of Physics Students weekly meeting?

• Thread starter jaska22
  • Start date
In summary: We also occasionally have guest speakers, although not as often as in the past. The most recent was a Chem professor who talked about methane hydrate and alternative energy. Aside from that, we usually just have a lot of small-talk and try to get everyone to join in on the activities.
jaska22
Hi everyone

I am not sure if this is the right place for the post, so if it not please feel free to move it to the more adequate location

I am a member of my Society of Physics students national and local chapter and we have weekly meetings, where we try to do fun physics stuff/eat/discuss physics/physics news for about an hour. I know that most physics departments have these and was wondering what do you guys do at your weekly meetings, or if you are not in school what did you use to do when you were a member/in school?

We are trying to come up with new ideas always in order to keep our fairly large group motivated and interested in physics throughout the years.

Some of the things we do are weekly physics news, presentation about elected physicist of the month, physics games, food, semester trips,...

So, what do you do or did you do when you were a member

Physics news on Phys.org
I got one.. try and not have the meetings when most people have class. At my university, the SPS meetings are at a time when most people have class. I don't know if they want to keep it as a club for a few select people or what, but having the meetings in the middle of the day is not really a good thing.

I tend to stay away from the local group and pay my national membership. I figure one day I won't have a class as the same time as the meetings. I figure I'll go then.

We had guest speakers every so often, some of who were from the Physics & Astro Dept. and some from other Depts. (like a Chem prof at our school who was talking about methane hydrate and alternative energy)

Our meetings are only once a week and they're late enough in the day to the point where it won't conflict directly with classes (6PM).

There was an attempt to build a bubble chamber this past year, but that didn't go as well as we had hoped. Here's to crossing our fingers and retrying that this year.

Aside from that, it's pretty much just like what you described with your chapter. We didn't focus too heavily on weekly physics news, although some people have requested things related to that, so I simply asked that they email me the article ahead of time to distribute to all members before the meeting(s).

1. What is the purpose of SPS weekly meetings?

The purpose of SPS weekly meetings is to provide a platform for scientists to come together and discuss their research, share new ideas, and collaborate on projects related to a specific field of science.

2. Who can attend SPS weekly meetings?

SPS weekly meetings are open to all scientists, including students, researchers, and professionals, who are interested in the specific field of science being discussed.

3. How often are SPS weekly meetings held?

As the name suggests, SPS weekly meetings are held once a week, typically on the same day and time each week. However, the frequency may vary depending on the availability of members and the specific needs of the group.

4. Are there any requirements for attending SPS weekly meetings?

There are no specific requirements for attending SPS weekly meetings. However, it is recommended that attendees have a background or interest in the field of science being discussed to fully participate in the discussions.

5. How can I join SPS weekly meetings?

To join SPS weekly meetings, you can reach out to the group's organizers or check their website for more information. Some groups may require registration or membership, while others may allow anyone to join.