Lagrangian mechanics of continuous systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Lagrangian mechanics to systems with infinitely many degrees of freedom. The speaker presents a new approach using some questionable math to obtain correct results for conservative systems. They also discuss the extension of Lagrange's equation for systems with a continuous parameter s, where the position is described by a function of s and t. An example of a continuous spring is given, and the Lagrangian and directional derivatives are calculated. The conversation then touches on the similarities to Lagrangian field theory and suggests further reading on classical field theory.
adriank
I'm thinking about generalizations of Lagrangian mechanics to systems with infinitely many degrees of freedom, but what I've got uses some extremely sketchy math that still appears to give a correct result. I only consider conservative systems that do not explicitly depend on time.

Of course, if our system is described by finitely many coordinates [itex]q_i[/itex] and a Lagrangian [itex]L = L(\mathbf{q}, \dot{\mathbf{q}})[/itex], then the motion obeys Lagrange's equation
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} = 0,[/tex]
or equivalently,
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \mathbf{q}} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\mathbf{q}}} = 0,[/tex]
where [itex]\partial L / \partial \mathbf{q}[/itex] is a directional derivative
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \mathbf{q}}(\mathbf{v}) = \left. \frac{d}{d\tau} L(\mathbf{q} + \tau \vect{v}, \dot{\mathbf{q}}) \right\rvert_{\tau = 0},[/tex]
and similarly for [itex]\partial L / \partial \dot{\mathbf{q}}[/itex].

Now say our system is described by some continuous parameter [itex]s[/itex], so we again have [itex]L = L(q, \dot q)[/itex], but this time [itex]q[/itex] is a function of both [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex]. I make the bold claim that Lagrange's equation still holds in this sense:
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q} = 0,[/tex]
where the derivatives of the Lagrangian are some functional directional derivative:
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}(f) = \left. \frac{d}{d\tau} L(q + \tau f, \dot q) \right\rvert_{\tau = 0},[/tex]
where [itex]f[/itex] is some function of [itex]s[/itex].

As an example, suppose we have a continuous spring, with an unextended length of 0, confined to the [itex]y[/itex] axis. Its position is described by a function [itex]y(s, t)[/itex], where [itex]s[/itex] ranges from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\ell[/itex]; the parameter [itex]s[/itex] perhaps represents length along the coil from one end. Its mass and spring constant per unit length are [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\kappa[/itex]. I write [itex]y'[/itex] to mean [itex]\partial y / \partial s[/itex]. The potential energy and kinetic energy are
[tex]V = \int_0^\ell \mu g y(s) + \frac12 \kappa \left( \frac{\partial y(s)}{\partial s} \right)^2 \,ds, \quad
T = \int_0^\ell \frac12 \mu \dot y(s)^2 \,ds,[/tex]
so the Lagrangian is
[tex]L = \int_0^\ell \frac12 \mu \dot y(s)^2 - \mu gy(s) - \frac12 \kappa y'(s)^2 \,ds.[/tex]
The directional derivatives with respect to [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]y'[/itex] of the Lagrangian satisfy
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}(f) = \left. \frac{d}{d\tau} \int_0^\ell \frac12 \mu \dot y(s)^2 - \mu g (y(s) + \tau f(s)) - \frac12 \kappa (y'(s) + \tau f'(s))^2 \,ds \right\rvert_{\tau = 0} = -\int_0^\ell \mu g f(s) + \kappa y'(s) f'(s) \,ds[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot y}(f) = \left. \frac{d}{d\tau} \int_0^\ell \frac12 \mu (\dot y(s) + \tau f(s))^2 - \mu gy(s) - \frac12 \kappa y'(s)^2 \right\rvert_{\tau = 0} = \int_0^\ell \mu \dot y(s) f(s) \,ds[/tex]
Thus, Lagrange's equation gives
[tex]\int_0^\ell \mu g f(s) + \kappa y'(s) f'(s) + \frac{d}{dt} \mu \dot y(s) f(s) \,ds = 0.[/tex]
Integration by parts on the second term and simplifying gives
[tex]\kappa (y'(\ell) f(\ell) - y'(0) f(0)) - \int_0^\ell \left[ \mu g - \kappa y''(s) + \mu \ddot y(s) \right] f(s) \,ds = 0.[/tex]
I claim that somehow the term on the left disappears. Since this equation must be true for any function [itex]f[/itex], the expression in brackets must be zero; we then get the equation of motion
[tex]\ddot y(s) = \frac{\kappa}{\mu} y''(s) - g.[/tex]
It seems like a physically reasonable equation; solutions oscillate over time, and if we say fix [itex]y(\ell) = 0[/itex], then in an equilibrium solution [itex]y(s) = (\mu g/2\kappa) (s^2 - \ell^2)[/itex] the tension [itex]\kappa y'(s)[/itex] at any point is equal to the weight [itex]\mu gs[/itex] of the spring below that point.

Has anyone seen anything that looks somewhat like this? I looked around and couldn't really find anything that looked like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
cool, so you've reinvented Lagrangian field theory! Since your Lagrangian is an integral over s, is better to consider its integrand and call it a "Lagrangian density". Can you derive the Euler-Lagrange equations for a Lagrangian density? In any case, I hope you have enough buzzwords now to read up on this, there's a huge literature on classical field theory.

I am intrigued by your exploration of generalizing Lagrangian mechanics to systems with infinitely many degrees of freedom. The use of functional directional derivatives in your proposed equation for Lagrange's equation is certainly interesting and warrants further investigation.

I have not personally come across a similar approach in my own research, but that does not mean it has not been explored by others. It would be beneficial to search through literature and see if there are any prior studies or discussions on this topic.

Your example of a continuous spring is a good starting point for applying your proposed equation of motion. The resulting equation does seem physically reasonable and it would be interesting to see how it compares to other methods of solving for the motion of a continuous spring.

I encourage you to continue exploring this idea and see where it leads. Perhaps with further refinement and analysis, it could potentially offer new insights or applications in the field of Lagrangian mechanics for systems with infinite degrees of freedom.

1. What is Lagrangian mechanics of continuous systems?

Lagrangian mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that provides a powerful and elegant method for describing the motion of continuous systems, such as fluids and solids. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the total energy required for its motion.

2. How does Lagrangian mechanics differ from Newtonian mechanics?

In Newtonian mechanics, the motion of a system is described by solving differential equations based on the forces acting on the system. In contrast, Lagrangian mechanics uses a single equation, the Euler-Lagrange equation, to describe the motion of a system in terms of its kinetic and potential energy.

3. What is the advantage of using Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics provides a more elegant and general approach to describing the motion of continuous systems, as it does not rely on specific forces or coordinate systems. It also allows for the use of generalized coordinates, which can simplify the mathematical calculations for complex systems.

4. Can Lagrangian mechanics be applied to non-conservative systems?

Yes, Lagrangian mechanics can be extended to non-conservative systems by including non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance, in the Lagrangian function. This allows for a more comprehensive description of the motion of a system.

5. How is Lagrangian mechanics used in practical applications?

Lagrangian mechanics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is commonly used to analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as the motion of satellites or the flow of fluids in pipes. It is also a fundamental tool in the development of new theories and models in these fields.