Rank 2 and rank 1 field theories

In summary: In particular, the graviton (the hypothetical particle associated with the gravitational field) is a spin 2 field that cannot be constructed as the tensor product of two spin 1 fields.
kurious
Can a rank 2 field be considered, in principle, to be the dot product of two rank 1 vector fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you're talking about really, but I would guess "cross product" or "Cartesian product" instead of dot product. The reals (1-space) form a vector space and a field, and the cartestian product R x R gives R² (2-space), which is vector space (and would be a field, I imagine). So guessing as to what you mean, I would think Cartesian product is your answer.

kurious said:
Can a rank 2 field be considered, in principle, to be the dot product of two rank 1 vector fields?

You should specify what you mean. I guess you're talking about tensorial rank. In that case, indeed, the tensor product of two rank 1 tensor fields yields a tensor field of rank 2. In a quantum field theory setting, tensorial rank is related (although not completely equivalent) with spin, and the tensor product is associated with combining two systems. So the quantum version is that the sum of two spin-1 systems contains (but is not equal to) a spin-2 system.
The difference is in what is called irreducible representations.
A tensor field of rank 1 is an irreducible representation, and hence fully maps onto a spin-1 field. However, a tensor field of rank 2 is not irreducible ; in fact it corresponds to a sum of a spin-2 field, a spin-1 field and a scalar (spin 0) field. This comes down to the property that combining 2 spin-1 systems gives you a total spin which can be 0, 1 or 2.

cheers,
Patrick.

Vanesch:
This comes down to the property that combining 2 spin-1 systems gives you a total spin which can be 0, 1 or 2.

Kurious:

Supposing I said that the gravitational force carrier was
made of two spin 1 particles coupled together.What would make the carrier just a spin 2 particle in total? I am thinking here of trying to reduce gravity
to being another case of electromagnetism.
My basic idea is this:
mass could be caused by electric charges in space interacting with protons and electrons.So a massless force carrier could just be an electrically neutral phenomenon moving through the
mass-causing charges in space.

Last edited:
kurious said:
Supposing I said that the gravitational force carrier was
made of two spin 1 particles coupled together.What would make the carrier just a spin 2 particle in total?
All you have to do is make sure the lagrangian depends only on the traceless symmetric product,
[tex]\frac{1}{2} (A_\mu B_\nu + B_\mu A_\nu) - \eta^{\mu \nu}(A_\rho B^\rho})[/tex].
Also you should be aware that not every spin 2 field can be constructed this way.

1. What is the difference between rank 2 and rank 1 field theories?

Rank 2 field theories are those in which the field variables are rank 2 tensors, meaning they have two indices. On the other hand, rank 1 field theories have field variables with only one index. This means that rank 2 field theories have more degrees of freedom than rank 1 field theories, allowing for a more complex description of the system.

2. Can rank 2 field theories describe physical systems with higher dimensions?

Yes, rank 2 field theories can be used to describe physical systems with higher dimensions. This is because the rank of the field variables is not limited by the dimensionality of the system, but rather by the mathematical structure of the theory itself.

3. What are some examples of rank 1 field theories?

Some examples of rank 1 field theories include scalar field theories, such as the Klein-Gordon equation, and vector field theories, such as electromagnetism described by Maxwell's equations. These theories have field variables with only one index, representing scalar and vector quantities respectively.

4. How do we determine the rank of a field theory?

The rank of a field theory is determined by the number of indices on the field variables. For example, a theory with field variables that have two indices will be a rank 2 field theory.

5. What is the significance of rank in field theories?

The rank of a field theory plays a crucial role in determining the complexity and predictive power of the theory. A higher rank allows for a more detailed description of the system, but also introduces more degrees of freedom and can make the theory more difficult to solve. Therefore, the choice of rank in a field theory is important and depends on the specific physical system being studied.