Extended thought experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a rod rotating at a speed faster than the speed of light and its effects at each end. It is noted that this experiment would not violate any rules, but there is no physically existent rod that would behave in this manner. The conversation also questions the possibility of an infinitely powerful machine rotating such a rod. The conclusion is that the speed of sound in the rod would limit the effects at each end, making it impossible for the rod to violate the laws of physics.
rokimomi
Got this from extending the "faster than light" portion of the wiki page.

Wiki notes that if a laser is swept quickly across a distant object, the point will move faster, but nothing else necessarily violates any rules so this experiment passes.

Now what if you have an infinitely long rod of negligible weight opposing your holding of and swinging of the said rod, and you decide to spin it round and round at a 90 degree angle to your body.What are the SR effects at each end of the rod, particularly, the end that would otherwise move faster than c if it weren't for that speed limit compared to the end you are holding.

Would it just be a connected twins paradox? And what of the apparent "ages" of the two ends of the rod. I know a rod doesn't "age", but if you were to compare the aging of the end you hold through time and a point very very far away, would it really be different or is there some linkage of information about their respective ages that prevents this (this last question may just be my over-thinking the situation)?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such rod of negligible weight though, which I believe is important, because I don't believe it would be impossible to rotate any physically existent rod to behave in such a manner where its outer points would be rotating above c.

I'm definitely not one to argue but is your response a sound debate that would limit this experiment, not that I doubt what you say.

In essence, I want a rod that would pose little effort to spin even if amazingly long but if your hunch is actually the limitation then I guess can we imagine some infinitely powerful machine can rotate it?

Ignoring the particulars altogether, when the rod is good and going, what are the effects @ either end?

The direction this is going - "would a rod that violates the laws of physics violate the laws of physics" - will not be helpful in understanding things.

The motion of one end of a rod can only be affected by motion at the other end after this force has been propagated through the rod. The speed this is happens is the speed of sound in the rod, which is always less than the speed of light.

1. What is an extended thought experiment?

An extended thought experiment is a mental exercise where one imagines a hypothetical situation and explores its consequences and implications. It is often used in scientific and philosophical discussions to explore complex ideas and theories.

2. How is an extended thought experiment different from a regular thought experiment?

An extended thought experiment is different from a regular thought experiment in that it involves a longer and more detailed exploration of a hypothetical situation. It often involves multiple stages and scenarios, rather than a single question or scenario.

3. What is the purpose of conducting an extended thought experiment?

The purpose of conducting an extended thought experiment is to explore complex ideas and theories in a more in-depth and comprehensive way. It allows for a deeper understanding of a concept and its potential consequences, without the limitations of real-world constraints.

4. Can extended thought experiments be used in scientific research?

Yes, extended thought experiments can be used in scientific research as a tool for exploring and testing hypotheses. They can also help scientists to identify potential flaws in their theories and come up with new ideas for further experimentation.

5. Are there any limitations to extended thought experiments?

One potential limitation of extended thought experiments is that they are based on hypothetical situations, which may not always accurately reflect reality. Additionally, they heavily rely on the imagination and creativity of the person conducting the experiment, which may introduce bias or subjective interpretations.