Having trouble with weight versus mass

In summary: It is a real pain in the neck to remember to put a '2' after the units when I write them.In summary, the conversation discusses various units of measurement, including pounds, slugs, and kilograms, and their relation to mass and force. It clarifies that pounds are a unit of mass and also a unit of force, known as pound-force. It also mentions the use of slugs as a unit of mass, particularly in engineering, and the confusion that can arise when using different units of measurement. The conversation concludes by suggesting the use of the metric system to avoid such confusion.
EngrSPC
F=ma and w=mg; with acceleration = gravity, then Force = weight.

lb is a mass
lbf is a force
kg is a mass
I would then assume that kgf is a force. But the units of force in SI units is Newton. So I would conclude that 1 kgf = 1 N. But it does not...

When somebody says that something weighs 1 lb, then dividing by 32.2 ft/sec2 will define the mass in units of slug or lbm.

When somebody says that something weighs 1 kg, they are not saying that it weighs 1 kg, but has 1 kg of mass, because if you multiply by 9.81 m/sec2, you get the units of Newton.

I have gotten thoroughly confused on this. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you say is right,, but I never heard of a kgf.
Yes, the 'English' system, now used just about only in the US has two ways of doing it.
`Pound` can be force and `slug` mass, but writing 1 pound=32 slugs can be confusing, unless you put the units into 32. The correct English is `The weight of a mass of 1 slug is 32 pounds.
The other way is `pound` is mass and `The weight of a 1 pound mass is 32 poundals'.
Poundal is the force unit I recall engineers using. My recollection is that physicists use slugs and engineers use poundals.
SI allows (under pain of not being allowed to publish) only kg for mass and Newton for force, with `a mass of 1 kg has a weight of 9.8 Newton's' They no longer permit grams or cm, although seconds are still allowed. Then, it is incorrect to say (in any language)
`I weigh 80 kg' (or`kilo' as they say, but only physics professors know that.

EngrSPC said:
When somebody says that something weighs 1 kg, they are not saying that it weighs 1 kg, but has 1 kg of mass, because if you multiply by 9.81 m/sec2, you get the units of Newton..
Correct, when somebody says they weigh 80Kg they mean they weigh the same as an 80kg mass.
It is usually is less confusing in SI, where mass and force have different units - but it means some day-day statements are wrong

Last edited:
the weight you have on a scale is force not mass. it measured the force of gravity on your mass. If you take that same scale to the moon the force will be less. Unless of course that is because scales take into account the force of gravity then give you your mass. Which is entirely possible. Do scales do that?

When somebody says that something weighs 1 lb, then dividing by 32.2 ft/sec2 will define the mass in units of slug or lbm.

Slugs ... they are my favorite unit.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
Slugs ... they are my favorite unit.
They aren't terribly useful as a standard - they shrink if you spill salt on them

Yes, they will, unless you are using them in ANSYS. (That is the only place I use them.)

mgb_phys said:
They aren't terribly useful as a standard - they shrink if you spill salt on them

Not as a standard, but you can throw them into a gun and get some good results.

dacruick said:
Not as a standard, but you can throw them into a gun and get some good results.
Surely a little squashy?

mgb_phys said:
Surely a little squashy?

dont call me shirley

kgf, or kilogram-force is the force of 1 kg accelerated at 9.8m/s. Thus, it is 9.8N.

This way, when I say I weigh 60kg, I should really say I weigh 60kgf, and that my mass is 60kg.

First things first: Pounds are a unit of mass. The pound as a unit of mass have been around for a long time, long enough that there are several pounds. The avoirdupois and troy pound, for example. (A pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold, BTW. The troy pound is used for precious metals, the avoirdupois point for ordinary stuff like feathers.) Without any qualifier, the term 'pound' means the avoirdupois pound.

Pounds are also units of currency. Back in the day, one troy pound of silver was worth one pound sterling. Nowadays that much silver is worth over 100 pounds.

Finally, pounds are also a unit of force. The pound force is the force needed to accelerate a one pound mass by 1g (9.80665 m/s2 exactly, to mix measurement systems).

What about the slug? Slugs are not an official part of the English system. They are a rather recent invention (100 years ago or so).

Without any qualifier, the word 'pound' means the avoirdupois pound: A unit of mass. Symbol: lb. If you mean force, it is best to say pound-force (symbol: lbf).

Or shoot, just go metric.

So if a rope says 6000lbs breaking strain does that mean it can lift a 6000lb mass or a 6000/32.2 lb mass?

A 6000 pound mass, or a 6000/32.2 slug mass.

Interesting aside: The industry in which I work uses pounds for mass but uses slug-ft2 for moments and products of inertia.

1. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity, while mass remains constant regardless of gravity.

2. Why is weight measured in pounds while mass is measured in kilograms?

The pound is a unit of weight commonly used in the United States, while the kilogram is the standard unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI). This difference in measurement units reflects the difference between weight and mass as defined in question 1.

3. How does weight affect an object's mass?

Weight does not affect an object's mass. Mass is an inherent property of an object and remains the same regardless of its location or the presence of other objects. However, weight can change if the object is in a different gravitational field.

4. Can having more muscle affect your weight?

Yes, having more muscle can affect your weight. Muscle is denser than fat, so a person with a higher muscle mass may weigh more than someone with a similar size and body composition but less muscle mass.

5. How does gravity play a role in weight and mass?

Gravity is the force that causes objects to have weight. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is not affected by gravity. However, an object's weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational field it is in.