Sinkhole in Guatemala City: Epic Superhero Battle Collateral Damage

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, a massive sinkhole in Guatemala City has been captured in a high resolution photo, showing a perfectly round hole that looks like it was created by a superhero/supervillain battle. The hole swallowed a 3-story building and is believed to be caused by a collapsed underground cave. Experts question whether it is a true sinkhole and are curious about the unusual shape and location. The photo has shocked and amazed many people, causing speculation on how it could have formed naturally. Despite its bizarre appearance, it is a tragic event for the occupants of the building and poses a danger to the rest of the city.
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fake is this suppost to be real?

In karst areas such things happen.

We are happy someone posted this.
Wondering how this can be naturally made so perfectly round?

looks like one of those holes the Silver Surfer made in the Earth in Fantastic Four II

---that's going to take a lot of truckloads of dirt/garbage to fill in

I saw the photo on the news this morning and was astounded! They said it swallowed a 3-story building. So, while I'm completely amazed at the size of this thing, I also think of the tragedy of it for the occupants of that building.

It really does look like something from a cartoon. I too was surprised that something so deep was also so perfectly round. The roof of an absolutely HUGE cavern must have just opened up.

What do you do with something like that? Oh, wait, I think BP just found a hole big enough for all the oil and saltwater mix they're scooping out of the Gulf.

Moonbear said:
I saw the photo on the news this morning and was astounded! They said it swallowed a 3-story building. So, while I'm completely amazed at the size of this thing, I also think of the tragedy of it for the occupants of that building.

It really does look like something from a cartoon. I too was surprised that something so deep was also so perfectly round. The roof of an absolutely HUGE cavern must have just opened up.

What do you do with something like that? Oh, wait, I think BP just found a hole big enough for all the oil and saltwater mix they're scooping out of the Gulf.

yeah, the ground (the layering of strata) in the area must be unusually consistent all the way down to the cavern

--luckily the hole BP is trying to fill is smaller

More info here:
http://www.guatemalasinkhole.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
I question whether this was actually a sink hole, because how could such a feature have been formed naturally?? If it were a sinkhole it would be cone shaped and be wider and more open at the top getting narrower with depth -- this looks pretty much like a cylindrical borehole. If this is natural, then how could such a feature form?

For my money this cannot be a "top-down" feature (which sinkholes are), because what on Earth would possesses someone to build something over a big old hole like that? There must've been ground there originally which covered the hole -- so builders suspected nothing unusual at this location. Surely then this feature must've formed from below and have been pushing its way up to the surface? I would guess this was an underground cave whose roof collapsed.

If you look to the left and right sides of the hole you will see vertical lines projecting vertically downwards. For my money those lines are a geological fault, along which water might have been able to flow (in fact if you look closely it looks like the rock either side of those lines is darker so could well be saturated with water -- which suggests to me that this IS a water bearing fault). That makes sense, because you need the water to get the erosion. What I can't figure out is how this feature is not more elongated in the direction of the fault. This is a very curious feature.

billiards said:
I question whether this was actually a sink hole, because how could such a feature have been formed naturally?? If it were a sinkhole it would be cone shaped and be wider and more open at the top getting narrower with depth -- this looks pretty much like a cylindrical borehole. If this is natural, then how could such a feature form?

For my money this cannot be a "top-down" feature (which sinkholes are), because what on Earth would possesses someone to build something over a big old hole like that? There must've been ground there originally which covered the hole -- so builders suspected nothing unusual at this location. Surely then this feature must've formed from below and have been pushing its way up to the surface? I would guess this was an underground cave whose roof collapsed.

If you look to the left and right sides of the hole you will see vertical lines projecting vertically downwards. For my money those lines are a geological fault, along which water might have been able to flow (in fact if you look closely it looks like the rock either side of those lines is darker so could well be saturated with water -- which suggests to me that this IS a water bearing fault). That makes sense, because you need the water to get the erosion. What I can't figure out is how this feature is not more elongated in the direction of the fault. This is a very curious feature.

I'll take that bet

I mean really would you even go near this thing? I'd be so worried about the rest of the city caving in with it.

Holy crap, that thing looks photoshopped, it is so profoundly disturbing! I know it isn't, but it's still shocking. I've been in that city too... damn.

As if the people of Guatemala don't have it hard enough, these poor people must have spent their last moments in abject terror. :(

Here is one from 2007. It was also round?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070226-sinkhole-photo.html

edward said:
Here is one from 2007. It was also round?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070226-sinkhole-photo.html

OK! That's it.... KNOCK IT OFF WITH THAT SMOTTIN UP THERE!

omg, please don't smack me for that. :uhh:

Lacy33 said:
We are happy someone posted this.
Wondering how this can be naturally made so perfectly round?

3460ohx.jpg

Ya know Lisa, I was thinking something like this but didn't want to say. We in trouble! :rofl:

LOL LISA!

Omg this is possibly one of the most incredible things I've ever seen on PF... in my life even. Unbelievable. At first I thought it was just photoshopped :rofl:. On the website for updates posted it states only one confirmed death...

Q_Goest said:
More info here:
http://www.guatemalasinkhole.org/

I asked for the coordinates and they posted them. Coordinates appear to be slightly east of the hole which is at the 2 o clock position in Chi's http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/31/dot-shot-sinkhole-in-guatemala-city/".

Update#3: A viewer was asking for the Guatemala Sinkhole Coordinates, and it is roughly in the north eastern part of the city at: 14° 39′ 7.5″ N, 90° 30′ 21.5″ W.

lisab said:
3460ohx.jpg

Tremors or Dune, I am laughing my ****s right off! I didn't think there was a funny to be found here; I was wrong. :)

billiards said:
I question whether this was actually a sink hole, because how could such a feature have been formed naturally?? If it were a sinkhole it would be cone shaped and be wider and more open at the top getting narrower with depth -- this looks pretty much like a cylindrical borehole.
Tossing it into Photoshop for a brightness adjustment reveals it is, in fact, conical...

Attachments

• sinkhole.jpg
    sinkhole.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 596
When I first saw the image, I too though it was a hoax/photoshop/something. It's too round and the tube seems too neatly sheared. But, um, what's it open into? That's a cavernous space below the tube, yes? So, it's, what? Anyone know?

I can't believe that nobody made this connection.

[PLAIN]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2010/6/1/634109771831533600-Andsoitbegins.jpg

Borg? I thought some folk were more worried about a "black hole" being created from collisions at CERN. If that is a "black hole" then even I might be able to do some physics. :approve:

Lacy33 said:
Borg? I thought some folk were more worried about a "black hole" being created from collisions at CERN. If that is a "black hole" then even I might be able to do some physics. :approve:

I was waiting for someone to say that an accident at the LHC caused a particle stream to be directed at Guatemala or some such silliness to go along with the other pictures of cats and worms. This was the closest that I found. :tongue2:

Borg said:
I was waiting for someone to say that an accident at the LHC caused a particle stream to be directed at Guatemala or some such silliness to go along with the other pictures of cats and worms. This was the closest that I found. :tongue2:

I think that COBRA is just testing their new Weather Dominator. :biggrin:

Borg said:

NO! Borg... It was good, It was really good. I was still slapped stupid from Lisab's picture :rofl: and should have waited to comment on anything.
One can imagine my report cards from the two years of grammer school I attended:
"Does not play well with other children." :uhh:

Somebody should buy it and make a commercial bungy jump into it

the first links mentioned something about volcanic activity. old lava tube, maybe?

Back