5 years since my last math class

In summary, you can use the intermediate value theorem to find a root of ln x = e^-x on the interval (1,2). However, finding the correct root to 3 decimal values may be a different matter.
cowgiljl
It has been at least 5 years since my last math class and I am kinda struggling.

The question is:
Use the intermediate value theorem to show that there is a root of ln x = e^-x on the interval (1,2). Find the correct root to 3 decimal values

What i have so far
f(1) = ln 1 - e^-1 = 0 which -.368< 0
f(2) = ln 2 - e^-2 = 0 which .558 > 0

am I doing this correct or am I really off base ?

thanks joe

Physics news on Phys.org
how can log(1) -e^{-1}=0? it doesn't why is that equals sign there? but apart from that you are in the right ball park.

f(1) is negative,
f(2) is positive, hence since the function is continuos it must pass through zero at some intermediate value of x between 1 and 2.

finding the root is a different matter. many methods exist, what do you know about?

I don't know much about it , and reading the scetion is difficult to understand. I have been going to math lab and looking for a tutor to assist me with my struggles. but at least i am on the right track.

You said that this function passes through 0. Do I need to pick a point greater than one but less than two and plug back into the function

joe

yes sort of !

Specifically u need some good iteration method now to finish the work,
two methods you can use now is bisection method and regula-falsi or the false position method.

Ofcourse there are other methods ... but these are fairly easy to implement.

-- AI

Use the intermediate value theorem to show that there is a root of ln x = e^-x on the interval (1,2). Find the correct root to 3 decimal values

Let f(x)= ln x- e-x so that ln x= e-x is the same as f(x)= 0.
(and f is continuous for x> 0)

f(1)= ln(1)- e-1= -e-1< 0 (your "= 0" was left over from the equation and doesn't apply for x= 1).
f(2)= ln(2)- e-2= 0.558> 0.

The intermediate value theorem (one version) says: if f(x) is continuous on [a,b], f(a)< 0 and f(b)> 0 then there exist c in [a,b] such that f(c)= 0.

Since for we have f(1)<0, f(2)> 0, there exist c in [1, 2] such that f(c)= 0 or
ln(c)= e-c.

As TenaliRaman said, one good way of finding that number is "bisection" and I suspect that is what is intended specifically because it uses the intermediate value theorem.

We know, from the intermediate value theorem that there is a solution in [1, 2]. Where? No idea! So try the midpoint just because it is easiest: midpoint of [1, 2] is x= 1.5. ln(1.5)- exp(-1.5)= 0.182> 0. That's not a solution since it is positive but we now know (again by the intermediat value theorem) that there is a solution between 1 and 1.5. Again, try the midpoint: (1+ 1.5)/2= 1.25. Determine whether ln(1.25)- e-1.25 is positive or negative to decide whether there is a solution between 1 and 1.25 or between 1.25 and 1.5 and take the midpoint of that interval. Continue until you get 3 decimal places right.

What topics should I review to prepare for my first math class in 5 years?

It would be helpful to review basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You should also review fractions, decimals, and percentages. Additionally, it would be beneficial to brush up on algebraic concepts such as solving equations and graphing.

How can I overcome my anxiety about returning to math after 5 years?

It is completely normal to feel anxious about returning to math after a long break. One way to overcome this anxiety is to start by reviewing basic concepts and gradually working your way up to more complex topics. It may also be helpful to seek support from a tutor or study group.

Will I be at a disadvantage compared to my classmates who have been consistently taking math classes?

While it is true that consistency in math education can lead to better understanding and retention of concepts, it is not impossible to catch up after a break. With dedication and effort, you can bridge any knowledge gaps and succeed in your math class.

How can I stay motivated to continue learning math after such a long break?

One way to stay motivated is to set clear goals for yourself and track your progress. You can also find real-life applications of math concepts to make the material more relevant and interesting. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or study group can provide accountability and support.

Are there any resources available to help me prepare for my math class after 5 years?

Yes, there are many resources available such as online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Your school or local library may also have textbooks or workbooks that you can use for review. Additionally, reaching out to your teacher or professor for guidance and additional resources can be helpful.