What is the correct way to measure an electron's spin in a magnetic field?

• Thread starter ^_^physicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurements
In summary, the conversation discusses the H-matrix/operator and its relationship with the system's energy and spin measurements. There is a disagreement on whether operating Sz on the state-vector A is a viable measurement and if it adds complications. The speaker is seeking clarification on this issue.
^_^physicist
So I've gotten myself stumped the other day.

Suppose I have an electron in a magnetic field, where the field is oriented along the x-axis, than I know that the H-matrix/operator is defined as -g*|B|*h/2 *Sx. Now say I know that I have a wave-function in a known initial state-vector, let's call is A. I can express A as a linear combination of the two eigenvectors associated with the H-matrix. Ok that seems fine, I can make a measurement of <A|H|A> and that's great. And if I want to let the system evolve in time I just stick the energy eigenvalues into the evolution (exp[-iEt/h]). But let's say I want to make a measurement of Sz now that I have the energy of the system after a short time.

Now I get myself confused, since H commutes with any S can't I just take the state-vector A, expressed as a linear combination of H's eigenvectors, and operate Sz on A to determine the expectation of Sz? When I ask some of my classmates we end up having a disagreement on whether or not this a viable measurement or not, and if it is if I am adding complications or not.

Any help on clearing this up would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
^_^physicist said:
Ok that seems fine, I can make a measurement of <A|H|A> and that's great

I guess you did not get any reply till now, because your question is not very clear. For instance you say "I can make a measurement of <A|H|A> ". Now, <A|H|A> is an expectation value. It is neither a measurement nor a result of a single measurement. Perhaps if you edit your question so that it becomes really precise, then you will get some feedback.

What is the purpose of subsequent measurements?

The purpose of subsequent measurements is to gather additional data and refine the accuracy of previous measurements. This can help to validate or improve the results of an experiment or study.

How do subsequent measurements differ from initial measurements?

Subsequent measurements differ from initial measurements in that they are taken after the initial data has been collected and analyzed. They are used to supplement or confirm the findings of the initial measurements.

What factors should be considered when conducting subsequent measurements?

When conducting subsequent measurements, factors such as equipment calibration, sample size, and measurement techniques should be carefully considered to ensure accuracy and consistency of the data.

What are some common methods for analyzing subsequent measurements?

Some common methods for analyzing subsequent measurements include statistical analysis, trend analysis, and comparison to previous results. These methods can reveal patterns and trends in the data and help to draw conclusions.

How can subsequent measurements contribute to scientific knowledge?

Subsequent measurements can contribute to scientific knowledge by providing more comprehensive and reliable data, which can lead to a better understanding of a particular phenomenon or help to develop new theories and hypotheses.