Can Nonlinear Trajectories Lead to Linear Equilibrium?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chaos
In summary, Nonlinear trajectories can lead to linear equilibrium in certain systems, as evidenced by the study of chaotic dynamics. This phenomenon occurs when the system's behavior appears unpredictable and chaotic, but eventually reaches a stable and predictable state. This concept has been observed in various fields such as physics, economics, and biology, and has important implications for understanding complex systems and their behavior. However, it is not a universal phenomenon and does not apply to all systems, as there are also cases where nonlinear trajectories do not lead to linear equilibrium. Overall, the study of nonlinear dynamics and its relationship to linear equilibrium continues to be a topic of interest and research in various fields.
Loren Booda
Nonlinear mapping tends to maintain nonlinearity the farther its trajectory from a fixed point. Is there an example of a trajectory reverting to linearity after traversing a nonlinear region? I am especially interested in local, linear special relativity transitioning to global, nonlinear general relativity, and a possible converse.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. Any object entering the Solar System from outside came from a linear trajectory, experiences a hyperbolic trajectory in the vicinity of the Sun and reverts to linear after it has left the Solar System.

Tide,

Does general relativity behave nonlinearly, yet not chaotically? I believe what I seek is a near-linear gravitational trajectory becoming a more chaotic one, then becoming near-linear again. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm still not quite sure what you're looking for but here are a couple of ideas that I think resemble what you seem to be asking.

Some aspects of weather go from calm (normal weather) to chaotic behavior (hurricanes) and back again to calm.

Plasma waves can produce an "echo" meaning that when such a wave is launched it is well structured but as it propagates away it is damped (Landau damping). The wave disappears but later downstream the wave re-emerges. This process can repeat several times.

Regarding general relativity, the motion of objects (including light) close to a massive object can be chaotic but I am not aware of a situation where an object that enters close to the object (event horizon, e.g.) completely escapes.

Last edited:
Tide et al,

To repeat: from what I know, gravitation propagates along trajectories that are generally nonlinear yet nonchaotic. Is this right?

Does general relativity behave nonlinearly, yet not chaotically?
Standard chaos theory seems not to work in GR, at least is what this paper claims
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9612017
so they are trying to develop a new definition of chaos useful in GR

Thanks, meteor. That's more toward what I was looking for.

Anyone want to define diffeomorphism invariance? All I know is that it is some kind of symmetry followed by GR.

Hello all.
Just a few observations.
Our solar sisem is chaotic by nature (large time scail). Our life span is just too short for us to notice.
Also weather is chaotic by nature, that means that in calm weather and in mid huricane it is impossible to predict future events for distant future, even with lots of acure data (not equaly unpredictable, but still unpredistable).

@LorenBoda, So you are looking for transitional chaos in damped systems. I think if you want to include general relativity you'll have to be more specific, but there is an example of a transitional chaos involving gravity.

It is an experiment with three magnets (positioned at the corners of a tiangle) and an iron ball that hangs above them exactly at the center.

When you release the ball its movement is linear (it's a damped pendulum). When the amplitude weakens it becomes chaotic (it can't decide which magnet attracts it more). When amplutide weakens even more, it settles and osscilates arround one of the magnets (yt the beggining you can't tell which one).

I actualy did the experiment once, here is a picture:

Cheers, Phantomas

Attachments

• magnetic-small.jpg
    magnetic-small.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Phantomas,

What would be the pattern of motion if the magnet system were superconducting?

Gokul43201 and loop quantum gravity,

I will indulge in these sites you offer - thanks.

LQG: The main difference that I see is that Nottale's approach indeed modifies General relativity, while Schleich and Witt are only giving a new definition of chaos, maintaining the habitual GR structure. For example, you must know that in GR spacetime is a differentiable manifold. But looking this Nottale's paper
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0307093
he says there that in his theory spacetime is a non-differentiable manifold

Loren Booda said:
Phantomas,

What would be the pattern of motion if the magnet system were superconducting?

The same.

This is a classical system, no matter whether the magnets are permanent magnet bars or superconducting electromagnets.

Why do you ask ? :confused:

Last edited:
It reminded me of a superconducting magnet that has the ability to be stably suspended without supports where a classical magnet cannot.

Loren, you are a recollecting incorrectly (boy, is that a tongue-twister !). What you are talking about, is a superconductor suspended over a regular magnet.

And remember that ferromagnetism itself is a Quantum Mechanical effect, so the only "classical magnet" is an electromagnet.

A superconducting magnet is merely an electromagnet that uses a superconducting wire for the current (so you can have much higher currents, and hence much higher field strengths).

Last edited:
Exactly.
It doesn't matter what kind of magnets you use.
If they are stronger you have to use a heavier ball to get the same results, or just hang it higher.

P.

Gokul43201,

What is an example of a magnetically, otherwise freely suspended object at room temperature?

I can describe something that'll do this :

Take a strong (like an NdFeB or SmCo5) magnet in the shape of say a cylindrical disc of diameter D, magnetized along the direction of the axis. Set this on your table. Now over this slide a transparent (so it's nicer to see) plastic tube/pipe of inner diameter just barely greater than D, but have it be longer than the height (or thickness) or the magnet. Now take another magnet, identical to the first and drop it down the pipe. If you dropped it with opposite poles facing each other, this second magnet will levitate above the fist one.

But can the levitated object be free of mechanical contact ("otherwise freely suspended")?

I can't easily picture a geometry between only ferromagnets that will give rise to a stable equilibrium - but maybe I'm just not thinking right. In the above example, there is a point of equilibrium (where the magnet can levitate without any mechanical contact whatsoever), but it is unstable - if slightly disturbed, the magnet will flip and fall into the other one.

In the case of a reasonable diamagnet, it is actually possible to achieve levitation at the highest achievable fields today. With a reasonably high field magnet, it is possible to stably levitate say, a drop of water or a piece of bismuth - though I think that the better approach is to levitate the magnet between bismuth plates.

Someone actually levitated a frog with a pulsed field magnet. :eek: A google search might prove fruitful.

1. What is "From chaos to calm"?

"From chaos to calm" is a phrase often used to describe a process of going from a state of disorganization or disorder to a state of peace and tranquility. It can refer to various aspects of life, such as mental well-being, physical surroundings, or relationships.

2. What are some common causes of chaos in our lives?

Chaos in our lives can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, lack of organization or structure, overwhelming responsibilities, and unhealthy relationships. It can also be a result of external events and circumstances beyond our control.

3. How can we go from chaos to calm?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to going from chaos to calm, as everyone's situation is unique. However, some strategies that may help include setting boundaries, prioritizing self-care, practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, seeking support from loved ones or professionals, and making positive changes in one's environment or daily habits.

4. What are the benefits of finding calm in chaos?

Finding calm in chaos can have numerous benefits, including improved mental and emotional well-being, increased productivity and efficiency, better decision-making skills, stronger and healthier relationships, and a sense of inner peace and fulfillment.

5. Can chaos ever be a good thing?

While chaos can be overwhelming and stressful, it can also provide opportunities for growth and change. For example, chaos can push us out of our comfort zones and encourage us to try new things or find new solutions. It can also serve as a reminder to slow down and re-evaluate our priorities and values.