I with a percussion synth, please

• Thread starter MJay82
  • Start date
In summary, the pitch of the drum sound comes from three 1 Mohm potentiometers. The pot values are represented by the numbers 1, 2, and 3 on the IC. The IC also supplies power, and number 4 goes to ground and number 8 goes to +V.
MJay82
Hello everyone. I'm building a few simple percussion synthesizers with a design from "TAB Electronics Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics" for my Physics project this semester. This is my first try at building a circuit ever. I am really enjoying the process, but I have a few questions. I hope my questions come across as clear.

1) When multiple "lines" meet together at a junction point in a circuit diagram, this is the equivalent of a "row" on the breadboard - correct? Or to say it another way, components sharing a row act as if they're sharing a common point, right?
1b) Columns share NO connection (the long way), right?

2) The pitch of the drum sound comes from three 1 Mohm potentiometers. These have one pin on one end, and two pins on the other end. I will describe the way that the schematic represents the potentiometer:
There is a point below a "resistor" symbol (jagged line). The point is connected to the jagged line. In addition, there is an arrow emanating from the point, making a square-shape away from the line (wire), then pointing directly back at the jagged line.
My question is this: I don't know which way to orient the potentiometer - where does the one-prong end go, and where does the two-prong end go. The two-prong end on a breadboard is going to end up being on the same row (obviously), so I'm pretty confused as to why there are two ends at all. Obviously I'm not completely clear on how the potentiometer works - and due to time constraints I've got to jump into this project feet-first.

3) The circuit uses an NTE778A integrated circuit. There is a 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8 coming out of the circuit. This seems self-explanatory, but just to be sure - these numbers indicate what the corresponding numbers on the IC move toward - right?
Number 4 seems to go to -V, and number 8 seems to go to +V (3 goes to ground). Additionally, there is another power source (in the other part of the circuit). So will I just give power to this IC directly then?

I hope someone can help - I have a ton of work I need to do on this project this weekend , but if I can figure out these things by tomorrow, I should be in okay shape. Please ask any questions or tell me if I'm unclear. If it wouldn't be copyright infringement, I could take a picture of the diagram and post it. And I can take a picture of what I've got too, if someone wants to help me spot check. Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll post a few pictures in hopes that I just haven't been clear enough.

Attachments

• Picture 19.jpg
    Picture 19.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 353
  • Picture 16.jpg
    Picture 16.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 343
  • Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 356
The usual .1" spaced breadboard has 2 rows of 5 or so "pins" connected together on either side of a gap. You can plug an IC into the pins nearest the center gap and then wire up the other 4 pins just like connecting to that IC pin... if that makes any sense ... and, yes, the wires-connected-with-a-dot on the schematic is just like those sets of 5 pins.

There is another common breadboard component layout that usually has two long rows of pins connected by long-row. This is used for power distribution.

Pots generally have a center pin that is the "arrow" in the schematic. That pin can be twiddled anywhere between the two outer pins giving a variable resistance.

Try it all out with an ohm meter and see what's connected to what and what resistances you get.

Thanks for helping clear things up a bit, schip!

1. What is a percussion synth?

A percussion synth is a type of electronic musical instrument that is specifically designed to create and manipulate percussive sounds. It typically consists of a synthesizer engine and a trigger interface, allowing the user to play and program a wide range of drum and percussion sounds.

2. How does a percussion synth work?

A percussion synth works by generating a signal from its synthesizer engine and then shaping that signal through various parameters such as pitch, envelope, and filter settings to create different percussive sounds. The trigger interface allows the user to play the synth in real-time or program patterns and sequences.

3. What are the benefits of using a percussion synth?

There are several benefits to using a percussion synth, including its versatility in creating a wide range of percussive sounds, its ability to be programmed and played in real-time, and its compact size compared to traditional acoustic drum kits. It also allows for greater control and manipulation of percussive sounds for more creative and unique compositions.

4. Can a percussion synth be used for live performances?

Yes, a percussion synth can be used for live performances. Its compact size and real-time programming capabilities make it ideal for live use. Some percussion synths also have the option to connect to external triggers, allowing for a more dynamic and expressive performance.

5. Do I need any musical experience or knowledge to use a percussion synth?

While some basic musical knowledge and experience can be helpful in using a percussion synth, it is not necessary. Many percussion synths have user-friendly interfaces and presets that can be easily manipulated without prior musical training. However, having an understanding of music theory and percussion techniques can greatly enhance the user's experience with the synth.