Build Automatic Water Switch with Engineering Knowledge

In summary, the person is interested in creating a project that can open or close a valve to control water flow, similar to a sprinkler system. They want to use their knowledge in engineering and are looking for ideas and suggestions on how to integrate a timer, signal sender and receiver, and potential programming for a chip. They also mention wanting to incorporate a wireless connection between the controller and the valves. They are seeking more information on the specific details of the project, such as the type of valves and their power source.
jaredogden
I am wanting to make something that allows me to open a valve to turn water on or off. I am wanting to figure out a way to make my system somehow that would use maybe an alarm clock or some sort of digital timer to send a signal to a receiver that then would open/close a valve. I guess it's kind of like a sprinkler system in a sense. I know I can just go out and buy something like that but I want to make a project out of it and see if I can use some of the stuff I've learned so far in Engineering to make something like this. If anyone has any ideas of how this could work, or if there is any schematics that might help, or simply some details I am missing please let me know.

Assume I know nothing because I'm not even sure the complexity of this. The things I have thought I might need to know about is the timer, signal sender and receiver, any schematics for a circuit that would be needed, if there is any sort of programming that would need to be written for a chip. I don't know if I'm even on the right track here. Thanks for any or criticism help ahead of time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have motion-activated sprinklers guarding my garden. The sprinkler heads are the reciprocating type and since they are made of hard plastic, they make quite a clatter when they go off. The trigger is an IR motion sensor in the top of each unit. They feature a sensitivity pot so that I can dial back the "touchiness" so that birds, small critters, and weeds waving in the breeze don't set off the sprinklers. 5 years with NO deer damage. One 9-volt battery per unit lasts all season, and all you need is a couple of charged garden hoses to "power" the system.

The only timers in the circuit are an 8-second reset between trips, and whatever the designers came up with to limit the blast of water to a few seconds. Yes, you can buy these things, but it might be fun to play with them and build your own, too.

turbo-1 said:
Yes, you can buy these things, but it might be fun to play with them and build your own, too.

Exactly, I just am not sure where to start with something like this. Do you have any ideas of where I can look to find information that might help integrate maybe a receiver from something else and somehow wire something into a clock to send a signal to the receiver that would open a valve?

jaredogden said:
Exactly, I just am not sure where to start with something like this. Do you have any ideas of where I can look to find information that might help integrate maybe a receiver from something else and somehow wire something into a clock to send a signal to the receiver that would open a valve?
Sorry, I have been into electronics for years, but only the kind that run on tubes and high voltage. Never learned solid-state/chips/etc.

jaredogden said:
I am wanting to make something that allows me to open a valve to turn water on or off. I am wanting to figure out a way to make my system somehow that would use maybe an alarm clock or some sort of digital timer to send a signal to a receiver that then would open/close a valve. I guess it's kind of like a sprinkler system in a sense. I know I can just go out and buy something like that but I want to make a project out of it and see if I can use some of the stuff I've learned so far in Engineering to make something like this. If anyone has any ideas of how this could work, or if there is any schematics that might help, or simply some details I am missing please let me know.

Assume I know nothing because I'm not even sure the complexity of this. The things I have thought I might need to know about is the timer, signal sender and receiver, any schematics for a circuit that would be needed, if there is any sort of programming that would need to be written for a chip. I don't know if I'm even on the right track here. Thanks for any or criticism help ahead of time.

The first thing you need to do is define your project down to the details. Do you have the valves already? How much voltage and current do they require? What will be their power source? How far will the controller be from the valves? What kind of connection do you want between the controller and the valves, wired or wireless? If wireless, what kind of transmitter and receiver do you have in mind? Lastly what have you learned so far in engineering that you can use to make something like this?

1. What is an automatic water switch?

An automatic water switch is a device that uses engineering knowledge to control the flow of water without manual intervention. It can be used in various settings, such as irrigation systems, industrial processes, and home appliances.

2. How does an automatic water switch work?

An automatic water switch typically consists of sensors, a controller, and a valve. The sensors detect changes in water levels or pressure, and the controller processes this information to determine when to open or close the valve. This allows for a precise and automated control of water flow.

3. What are the benefits of using an automatic water switch?

Using an automatic water switch can have several benefits. It can save time and effort by eliminating the need to manually control water flow. It can also save water by ensuring that it is only used when needed. Additionally, it can help prevent damage to equipment or property by avoiding overflows or leaks.

4. Can I build my own automatic water switch?

Yes, it is possible to build your own automatic water switch with engineering knowledge and some basic components. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the principles behind its functioning and to follow safety precautions when working with water and electricity.

5. What are some important factors to consider when building an automatic water switch?

Some key factors to consider when building an automatic water switch include the type of sensor and valve to use, the power source for the controller, and the programming logic for the switch. It is also important to ensure that the switch is properly sealed and protected from water damage.