Is the Hawking vs. Sussking debate still unresolved?

• Thread starter bostonnew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hawking
In summary, it is not known yet whether information is lost when black holes disappear, but prevailing belief is that it is somehow restored. There are several ways that information could be preserved, but they all come with some pretty big caveats. One option is that information is encoded in the correlations between future and past, but it's difficult to say whether or not this is actually possible. Another option is that information is stored in the static state of objects, but this also has some caveats.
bostonnew
I've been reading about it various places online, but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

Is information lost when black holes disappear, or not?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic idea is that there are microphysical degrees of freedom storing the information and from which quantum corrections during black hole evaporation will again restore the information (quantum corrections mean that the spectrum is not purely black body).

The problem seems to be that these quantum corrections cannot be small.

Where can I get more details about "Information is encoded in the correlations between future and past" solution?

Dmitry67 said:
Where can I get more details about "Information is encoded in the correlations between future and past" solution?
In reference [7] cited there on the wikipedia page.
For a simplified explanation see also
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0912.1938

Thank you
OMG, Just noticed who is the author :)

But it puzzled me even more... What is a the INFORMATION if we assume block time?

Dmitry67 said:
OMG, Just noticed who is the author :)
Well, if that particular author is not sufficiently impressive, you may also see Ref. [6] by James Hartle. :wink:

Dmitry67 said:
But it puzzled me even more... What is a the INFORMATION if we assume block time?
I'm not sure that I understand the question, so I will respond with a counter-question: What is information if we DON'T assume block time?

I have to be honest, the more I think about it the less I understand what is it.
For example, after reading the recent article http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.1066 by Max Tegmark and his (very logical) view that truly infinite universe must contain all possible states (with different frequences) I have to conclude that the total amount of information in such universe is ZERO because everything is derived from the equations.

Answering your question, without block time, Universe is truly evolving, and can be emulated. Then the emulator calculates state at t+dt based on the state at t. The information is the information the emulator must keep to simulate the evolution correctly. This is naive, but very general definition, because it is applicable to any mathematical universe, including, for example, the "Game of Life" universe.

However, if we assume block time, there is no 'flow' and no information to pass from the past into the future; everything is just a static solution, and time is just a direction.

Last edited:
Dmitry67 said:
However, if we assume block time, there is no 'flow' and no information to pass from the past into the future; everything is just a static solution, and time is just a direction.
If information does not flow from the past to the future, it does not mean that information does not exist.

tom.stoer said:
The problem seems to be that these quantum corrections cannot be small.
Exactly. And at the same time, they SHOULD be small for macroscopically large black holes.

But the option "information is encoded in the correlations between future and past" (that Dmitry asked about) does not suffer from this problem because, for this option to work, no information needs to leak out from the black hole.

ok, regarding static objects, what information is stored in a set of all primes?

Dmitry67 said:
ok, regarding static objects, what information is stored in a set of all primes?
For the same reason as before, I will again respond with a counter-question:
What information is stored in the static sentence:
"Any fool can ask a question, but only clever person can ask a good one." ?

1. Is the Hawking vs. Sussking debate still ongoing?

Yes, the debate between Stephen Hawking and Leonard Susskind regarding the black hole information paradox is still unresolved and remains a topic of discussion among scientists.

2. What is the Hawking vs. Sussking debate about?

The debate revolves around the fate of information that falls into a black hole, with Hawking proposing that it is lost forever and Susskind arguing that it is preserved and can be retrieved from the black hole's event horizon.

3. How long has the Hawking vs. Sussking debate been going on?

The debate began in the 1980s and has continued for over three decades, with both scientists presenting new arguments and evidence to support their respective views.

4. Have there been any recent developments in the Hawking vs. Sussking debate?

In recent years, there have been several breakthroughs in theoretical physics that have shed new light on the black hole information paradox, but the debate between Hawking and Susskind remains unresolved.

5. Why is the Hawking vs. Sussking debate important?

The debate has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, particularly in regards to the nature of space, time, and information. Resolving the paradox could also have practical applications in areas such as quantum computing and cosmology.