Proton Collision and Coulomb Barrier

In summary, the question asks for the temperature needed for two protons to collide, assuming quantum mechanical tunneling is neglected and that the Coulomb barrier is overcome when r = 2 fm. To solve this, the vrms for protons is used to find the velocity, which is then used to find the temperature using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. The estimated central temperature of the Sun is also mentioned for comparison.
AnniB

Homework Statement

What temperature would be required for two protons to collide if quantum mechanical tunneling is neglected? Assume that nuclei having velocities ten times the root mean square (rms) value for the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution can overcome the Coulomb barrier (which you can consider to be overcome when r = 2 fm). Compare your answer with the estimated central temperature of the Sun.

Homework Equations

vrms=[itex]\sqrt{}\frac{}{}(3kT/m)[/itex]
Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm probably completely oversimplifying this problem, but in my mind I should just be able to find what the vrms is for protons normally and then use vrms find vrms=10vnormal to find the velocity, and then plug it into the normal rms equation once more to find the temperature. My only problem is that I don't think there's any way this problem is THAT simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also not sure what the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution has to do with this problem. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

1. What is a proton collision?

A proton collision is a type of high-energy collision that occurs between two protons, which are subatomic particles found in the nucleus of an atom. These collisions can take place in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), and involve accelerating protons to very high speeds and then smashing them into each other.

2. What is the Coulomb barrier?

The Coulomb barrier is the electrostatic force that prevents two positively charged particles, such as protons, from colliding with each other. This barrier arises due to the repulsive force between the positively charged particles, which increases as the distance between them decreases.

3. How does the Coulomb barrier affect proton collisions?

The Coulomb barrier plays a crucial role in proton collisions as it determines the minimum energy required for the protons to overcome the repulsive force and collide with each other. This energy is known as the Coulomb barrier energy, and it increases with the charge and size of the colliding particles.

4. Why do scientists study proton collisions?

Proton collisions are studied by scientists to gain a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. These collisions can produce new particles and interactions that have never been observed before, providing valuable insights into the nature of the universe.

5. What are some potential applications of proton collisions?

Proton collisions have numerous potential applications, including medical treatments such as proton therapy for cancer treatment, the production of radioisotopes for medical imaging, and the creation of new materials through nuclear transmutation. These collisions also have implications for energy production, as they can help scientists study and develop nuclear fusion reactions.