Acceleration due to gravity question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the acceleration due to gravity on a planet with three times the mass and diameter of Earth. Through using the equation g=GM/R^2 and considering the proportionality between mass and gravitational acceleration, the resulting value for g' is 3.267 m/s^2, which may seem counterintuitive but is correct according to Newton's laws of gravitation.
srikar97

Homework Statement

the mass of a planet is three times that of the Earth and the diameter of the planet is also three times that of the earth.what is the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the planet.value of g on Earth's surface =9.80m/s^2

Homework Equations

g=GM/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

g=GM/R^2

g'=GM'/R'^2

g'/g=(M'/M)(R^2/R'^2)

M'/M=3

R/R'=1/3, g=9.80 m/s^2

g/g'=3*1/9

g'=g/3=9.8/3=3.267 m/s^2[wrong answer]

but the Newton's laws of gravity say that mass is directly proportional to gravitational acceleration ,the mass of the planet is 3 times that of the Earth so g'>g but her
g'<g i don't know where i have gone wrong perhaps i have done some wrong calculations i am quite doubtful about the answer any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong. What's the "correct" answer?

so am i correct? but i don't think it obeys Newton's laws of gravitation.. as it says more mass the more the gravitational acceleration on that planet...

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is a physical constant that represents the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth. It is denoted by the symbol "g" and has a value of approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity is calculated by dividing the force of gravity on an object by its mass. This can be represented by the formula g = F/m, where g is acceleration due to gravity, F is force, and m is mass.

3. Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets because it is dependent on the planet's mass and radius. The larger the planet's mass and radius, the greater the acceleration due to gravity will be.

4. What is the difference between acceleration due to gravity and gravitational force?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth, while gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. Acceleration due to gravity is a measure of how quickly an object is accelerating, while gravitational force is a measure of the strength of the gravitational pull between two objects.

5. How does altitude affect acceleration due to gravity?

As altitude increases, the acceleration due to gravity decreases. This is because the distance between the object and the center of the Earth increases, leading to a decrease in the force of gravity. However, this effect is minimal for small changes in altitude and is only significant for objects at very high altitudes.