Understanding Selectivity of Reducing Agents in Organic Chemistry

• Thread starter kyletheskater
  • Start date
In summary, this person does not understand why sodium borohydride cannot reduce the nitro group over the carbonyl group, but they are familiar with carbonyl reduction with sodium borohydride. They also suspect that it has to do with Redox potentials and the mechanism.
kyletheskater
I need some help with understanding reducing agent selectivity. I recently did a lab where we used two reducing agents (separately) for 3-nitroacetophenone (benzene with a ketone group on an ethyl branch and a nitro group) sodium borohydride and tin in HCl. I know that sodium borohydride can only reduce carbonyl groups due to the mechanism, but I don't understand why tin in HCl would reduce the nitro group over the carbonyl group. Any help would be greatly appreciated

/e on second thought I actually can't figure out why BH4+ can only reduce carbonyl. Please help!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can't help you much, but I am sure it is in the reaction mechanisms.

Darn I really need help!

Have you checked reaction mechanism? I was able to google mechanism of the borohydride reduction in less then half minute. That's half of what you need (perhaps even more).

Borek said:
Have you checked reaction mechanism? I was able to google mechanism of the borohydride reduction in less then half minute. That's half of what you need (perhaps even more).

Thank you for your response, but I am very familiar with carbonyl reduction with sodium borohydride...I just don't understand how it cannot reduce nitro groups. I have played with the mechanism extensively trying to figure out why but I just don't get it

But to the second part of my question I don't understand why tin in HCl selects the nitro group over the carbonyl and I couldn't find a mechanism for that one

When I was taught this part of Organic Chem, there was no clear cut rationalization as to why these things happened from a mechanistic stand point. It was presented as experimental observation, in fact a google scholar search will reveal some old ACS (~1950's) publications where they used many borohydride salts with many ketones, aldehydes, carboxylic acids (and derivatives) and found that borohydrides reduced some but not others etc. Organic chemistry does not always have a mechanistic reason behind why some things happen and some don't. Sometimes its really just the fact that they have ran thousands of these reactions and found that 99% of the time you get A and not B.

The case of Tin + HCl is much the same. It was presented as a reaction to memorize and use, if necessary, for synthesis problems.

I suspect it has to do with Redox potentials (aka thermodynamics) and possibly the mechanism as well (IE one or two electron processes), but I have no evidence to back it up.

1. What is reducing agent selectivity?

Reducing agent selectivity refers to the ability of a substance to selectively reduce a specific compound or functional group in a chemical reaction, while leaving other compounds or functional groups unaffected.

2. Why is reducing agent selectivity important in chemistry?

Reducing agent selectivity is important because it allows for the controlled and efficient production of specific compounds without affecting other components in a reaction mixture. This helps in the purification and isolation of desired products.

3. How is reducing agent selectivity determined?

Reducing agent selectivity is determined by the chemical structure and properties of the reducing agent, as well as the functional groups present in the compound being reduced. The strength of the reducing agent and the reaction conditions also play a role in selectivity.

4. What are some common reducing agents used in chemistry?

Some common reducing agents used in chemistry include sodium borohydride, lithium aluminum hydride, and hydrazine. These reducing agents have varying degrees of selectivity and are used in different types of reactions.

5. Can reducing agent selectivity be altered or improved?

Yes, reducing agent selectivity can be altered or improved through the modification of the reducing agent's chemical structure or by adjusting reaction conditions such as temperature, pH, and solvent. Additionally, the use of catalysts can also enhance reducing agent selectivity.