Calculating motor/calculator thrust

• Thread starter taustin52
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thrust
In summary, there is a simple equation called the thrust equation that can be used to calculate the thrust generated by a motor/propeller combo. It involves factors such as air density, propeller diameter, pitch, and RPM. By plugging in all the known values, one can easily determine the thrust of their particular combo.
taustin52
Hi I am building a quadro-copter, and I'm curious to know how i can calculate the thrust generated by a motor/propeller combo. The motors are brushless electric motors for which i know the max RPM. The propellers are two bladed for which the diameter and pitch are known. Is there a simple equation for which i can use in order to calculate the thrust/lift a particular combo will produce. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am looking for an answer of the same problem, have you found anything meaningful?

Hi there! Yes, there is a simple equation you can use to calculate the thrust generated by a motor/propeller combo. It's called the thrust equation and it goes like this: thrust (in Newtons) = (0.5 x air density x propeller diameter^2 x propeller pitch x RPM^2). The air density can vary depending on your location and weather conditions, but you can usually find it online or use a standard value of 1.225 kg/m^3. Just plug in all your known values and you should be able to calculate the thrust. Good luck with your quadro-copter build!

1. What is motor thrust?

Motor thrust is the force generated by a motor or engine that propels an object forward. In the context of a calculator, motor thrust refers to the amount of force exerted by the motor that drives the internal mechanism responsible for calculating and displaying numbers.

2. How is motor thrust calculated?

Motor thrust can be calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of the propellant (fuel) by the exhaust velocity. In the case of a calculator, the propellant would be the electrical energy provided by the batteries and the exhaust velocity would be the speed at which the internal mechanism operates.

3. What factors affect motor thrust?

There are several factors that can affect motor thrust, including the design of the motor, the type of fuel being used, and the ambient conditions (such as temperature and air pressure). In the case of a calculator, the design and quality of the motor, as well as the type and strength of the batteries, can affect the thrust generated.

4. How can motor thrust be increased?

Motor thrust can be increased by using a more powerful motor, a more efficient design, and a higher quality fuel. In the context of a calculator, using high-quality batteries with a higher voltage and current output can also increase the motor thrust and improve overall performance.

5. Why is it important to calculate motor thrust?

Calculating motor thrust is important because it helps determine the amount of force that can be generated by a motor, which is crucial for the successful operation of any machine. In the case of a calculator, knowing the motor thrust can help ensure that the internal mechanism is strong enough to accurately perform calculations and display results.