Should We Buy or Rent a Wind Tunnel for Polymer Coating Testing?

In summary: Alternatively, you could build your own tunnel using some of the available design software. Either way, it will be a very expensive undertaking and you will need to have a lot of money and expertise to make it work well.
kaiopaka
So, I am totally not an aerodynamic engineer, but my boss - an organic chemist- thinks we should get a wind tunnel to test some new polymer coatings that our research group developed. In researching and calling around to companies that make wind tunnels, I got a question that i have no idea how to answer - what uniformity of flow do we need? I cannot find anything on how that is quantified, and I'm hesitant to answer "uhh, good". Could I get a little help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what are you trying to measure in your tunnel?

We want to measure any drag reduction that may occur due to these coatings (over standard coatings). Essentially, I think I want to measure the skin friction of a flat plate, coated with the various canditates.

Do you by any chance know by what method it is hoped it will reduce drag?

The coatings have very low surface energies, and nano-scale roughness. I was told by my boss that a .1% drag reduction would be considered a success.

Right but the mechanism you are hoping to control determines what your flow quality should be.

I don't know what surface energy even means to be honest, so if you could briefly explain it I may be able to help a little more.

If the nanoscale roughness is what you are hoping will help, that is a complicated problem.

Are you hoping to keep the flow laminar for longer and reduce drag that way?

Have you considered renting time in a wind tunnel as opposed to buying your own. Wind tunnels are expensive and you need to know what you are doing to get anything meaningful. And just buying a wind tunnel won't be enough, you need a way to measure the drag and an accurate force balance will be very expensive as well. You also need space for the tunnel, you will probably need pressure transducers and thermocouples, experience in data acquisition and then you will have to invest time in writing software to run everything.

There are plenty of wind tunnels out there where you can rent time and have experienced test engineers run the experiments and get very accurate drag measurements.

1. What is a wind tunnel?

A wind tunnel is a controlled environment that simulates the movement of air over an object, allowing for the study and analysis of aerodynamics.

2. How does a wind tunnel work?

A wind tunnel works by using a fan or compressor to create a stream of air that is directed over a model or object. The air speed and direction can be adjusted to mimic different conditions, and sensors and instruments are used to measure the forces and pressures on the object.

3. What are the different types of wind tunnels?

There are several types of wind tunnels, including closed circuit, open circuit, low-speed, high-speed, and hypersonic wind tunnels. Each type has its own specific uses and capabilities.

4. What is the importance of wind tunnel testing?

Wind tunnel testing plays a crucial role in the design and development of various objects, such as aircraft, cars, buildings, and sports equipment. It allows for the evaluation and improvement of aerodynamic performance, safety, and efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to wind tunnel testing?

While wind tunnel testing is a valuable tool for studying aerodynamics, it does have limitations. For example, scale effects and the inability to completely replicate real-world conditions can affect the accuracy of results. Additionally, wind tunnels can be expensive and time-consuming to operate.