Solid State Hydrogen Storage

In summary: You need a diamond anvil cell, which can reach 350,000 PSI. Even at that pressure, it's doubtful that a material like water ice would be an adequate storage medium.
macfan
As part of my Intel Science Fair project "How to make Hydrogen a viable alliterative" I read that at 3,500,000 psi Hydrogen will become a "Solid" so that you can have more power in less space which will make the car much more efficient. I am doing this on a 1/10 scale. My question is what material can hold the Hydrogen at those levels, how do I create the "solid' and is my previous statements correct.

Thanks,
macfan

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick a different project since there is no way you'll be able to accomplish what you're trying to do. In order to reach 3,500,000 PSI a diamond anvil cell is required and even 350,000 PSI would require one. On top of that even if you could produce the solid hydrogen there is no material capable of containing it and storing it in quantities that would make it useful as a vehicular fuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_anvil_cell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen

Well how did they accomplish it here?

http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/hobby_rc.htm

Am I missing something?

macfan

Last edited by a moderator:
They do not claim to solidify hydrogen at low temperature and high pressure.
They use the term "solid" but it has a different meaning: the hydrogen is somehow absorbed in a solid lattice (made from a different material). Similar maybe to a gas trapped in the active filter of a gas mask.

How would one pump high pressure into an empty storage unit and keep it at low temperatures?

macfan

What's wrong with liquid hydrogen? I doubt the solid form is much denser, perhaps even less so (like water-ice).

macfan said:
As part of my Intel Science Fair project "How to make Hydrogen a viable alliterative" I read that at 3,500,000 psi Hydrogen will become a "Solid" so that you can have more power in less space which will make the car much more efficient. I am doing this on a 1/10 scale.

How do you make something solid, on a 1/10 scale?

1. What is solid state hydrogen storage?

Solid state hydrogen storage is a method of storing hydrogen gas in a solid material, typically a metal or metal alloy. The hydrogen is stored by absorption into the material's lattice structure, similar to how a sponge absorbs water.

2. How does solid state hydrogen storage differ from other hydrogen storage methods?

Unlike other methods such as compressed or liquid hydrogen storage, solid state hydrogen storage does not require extreme pressure or low temperatures. This makes it a safer and more practical option for storing and transporting hydrogen.

3. What are the advantages of solid state hydrogen storage?

Some of the advantages of solid state hydrogen storage include higher energy density, faster refueling times, and no risk of hydrogen leaks. Additionally, solid state storage materials are typically more abundant and less expensive than other storage options.

4. What are the challenges associated with solid state hydrogen storage?

One challenge is finding materials that can efficiently and safely store large amounts of hydrogen. Another challenge is developing methods to release the hydrogen from the material when needed. The current materials used for solid state storage also have limitations in terms of temperature and pressure ranges.

5. How is solid state hydrogen storage being used in practical applications?

Solid state hydrogen storage is still in the research and development stage, but it has the potential to be used in a variety of applications such as fuel cells for vehicles, power generation, and portable energy storage. Some companies are already working on commercializing solid state hydrogen storage systems for use in cars and other vehicles.