Is the sphincter in the human anus air-tight?

• Thread starter Ahmed Abdullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: There are actually two anal sphincters, plus some valve-like folds in the anal canal between them. The valve-like folds ensure that when you pass flatus (that's the technical term for gas or fart) it's only flatus that escapes. Is the external sphincter airtight? That's the one under voluntary control, so probably the one you're asking about. I don't know for certain, but I doubt it. More likely, the small, continuous "leak" is just too insignificant to notice. Think of a beachball with a tiny pin hole in it. You can still fill it with air, and it'll hold most of it for
Ahmed Abdullah
Otherwise, why we don't stink all the time?

Biology news on Phys.org
I really can't speak about the human end of this question...

But, I can assure you that many of my 'mechanic type' friends swear (literally), that the sphincter in the frog anus is water tight.

I have assumed this to be correct on many occasions, myself.

OCR... :smile:

Wow, what an awesome question.

I can see by looking at my past posts that were removed from the forums I might need to produce more suitable topics for discussion like this one.

:grumpy:

Ahmed Abdullah said:
Otherwise, why we don't stink all the time?

Are you sure you don't?

Also, most of what's released in Nitrogen, which is odorless.

They also obviously "blow off excess pressure" from time to time...so while "air tight", this does seem to have a "air tight up to a certain pressure" qualification.

Some also seem to have discrete leaks that were (Claimed) to be undetected by the owner of the anus, albeit detected by proximal organoleptic receptors, which are swift to alert said leaking anus owner of these otherwise discrete leakage events.

Tea Jay said:
They also obviously "blow off excess pressure" from time to time

LOL :rofl:

There are actually two anal sphincters, plus some valve-like folds in the anal canal between them. The valve-like folds ensure that when you pass flatus (that's the technical term for gas or fart) it's only flatus that escapes. Is the external sphincter airtight? That's the one under voluntary control, so probably the one you're asking about. I don't know for certain, but I doubt it. More likely, the small, continuous "leak" is just too insignificant to notice. Think of a beachball with a tiny pin hole in it. You can still fill it with air, and it'll hold most of it for a while, even though a little bit is always escaping. The more deflated the ball, the less pressure is pushing toward that hole, so the leak slows. Though, I'm not sure if there is a definitive answer. Then again, there are some obscure anatomical journals that publish a lot of weird things you never knew anyone wanted to know.

1. What is the sphincter in the human anus?

The sphincter in the human anus is a group of muscles that control the opening and closing of the anus. It is responsible for keeping feces and gas inside the body until it is appropriate to release them.

2. Is the sphincter in the human anus air-tight?

Yes, the sphincter in the human anus is considered air-tight. This means that it has the ability to control the release of gas and prevent air from entering the body through the anus.

3. Can the sphincter in the human anus become loose?

Yes, the sphincter in the human anus can become loose due to various reasons such as aging, childbirth, or certain medical conditions. This can lead to issues with bowel control and may require medical intervention.

4. How does the sphincter in the human anus maintain its air-tight seal?

The sphincter in the human anus maintains its air-tight seal through a combination of muscle tone and the structure of the surrounding tissues. When the muscles are relaxed, the anus opens, and when the muscles contract, the anus closes tightly.

5. Can the sphincter in the human anus be trained or strengthened?

Yes, the sphincter in the human anus can be trained and strengthened through exercises such as Kegels. These exercises involve contracting and relaxing the muscles of the pelvic floor, which includes the sphincter muscles. This can help improve bowel control and prevent issues with incontinence.