How to change 3 Ph supply frequency?

In summary: And if you are talking low power then you need to consider an LC filter too.1MW at 1Hz is not realistic. You would need an LC filter and an enormous generator.
bobby2211
Hello,

I would like to know about, How to change the 3 Phase supply frequency smoothly over a wide range(for example 1Hz - 100Hz)?

suggest methods if any exists other than mentioned below :
1)Not using Variable frequency drives
2)Not using MG set

Pl note that i want to know, how to change 3 phase supply frequency, not at the generation side.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are talking low power (e.g., to power an experimental design) then you could synthesize three sinusoids from DC using semiconductor circuits, where it's called a function generator. Quite possibly a stepped approximation to a true sine wave would suffice.

NascentOxygen said:
If you are talking low power (e.g., to power an experimental design) then you could synthesize three sinusoids from DC using semiconductor circuits, where it's called a function generator. Quite possibly a stepped approximation to a true sine wave would suffice.

No its not for experimental use.

And i have clearly mentioned, that i want to know, how to change 3 phase supply frequency?
So do u have any other options for the above question?

See how it's done at either ends of high power AC-DC-AC power links (e.g. UK link with the French network). Or perhaps you are only concerned with relatively low powers. The actual spec would be vital to consider before making a choice.

sophiecentaur said:
See how it's done at either ends of high power AC-DC-AC power links (e.g. UK link with the French network). Or perhaps you are only concerned with relatively low powers. The actual spec would be vital to consider before making a choice.

Why you talk about low power application?

Yes, i can change 3 phase supply frequency using Motor generator set. Where generator rotor runs at Nr to obtain desired 'f'.
But i don't want to implement it as it is a cumbersome process.

so is there any other method to change supply frequency smoothly?

bobby2211 said:
No its not for experimental use.

And i have clearly mentioned, that i want to know, how to change 3 phase supply frequency?
So do u have any other options for the above question?
May I ask what the industrial application is where you know of a need for this?

bobby2211 said:
Why you talk about low power application?

Yes, i can change 3 phase supply frequency using Motor generator set. Where generator rotor runs at Nr to obtain desired 'f'.
But i don't want to implement it as it is a cumbersome process.

so is there any other method to change supply frequency smoothly?

You didn't make clear what power you are considering.
I did not suggest a motor generator solution - how would you do that for a 1Hz supply? The generators would need to he MASSIVE.
I was suggesting MAR technology. But 1Hz is an unrealistic suggestion for motors or inverters.

You will not find a system for direct conversion. It will be necessary to go via DC, I am sure.
You still do not specify the Power involved. Is it a secret?

sophiecentaur said:
You didn't make clear what power you are considering.
I did not suggest a motor generator solution - how would you do that for a 1Hz supply? The generators would need to he MASSIVE.
I was suggesting MAR technology. But 1Hz is an unrealistic suggestion for motors or inverters.

You will not find a system for direct conversion. It will be necessary to go via DC, I am sure.
You still do not specify the Power involved. Is it a secret?

Firstly i would like thank you for patiently replying to my post.

It deals with high power AC sources.

Yes, that is what i want to perform. i.e. will i be able to convert 50hz 3 ph supply to 1Hz 3 phase supply or 51 or vary smoothly over a range?

Yes you are right generators are massive and i don't prefer them too.

So u say that direct conversion is not possible? or Do u have any idea about direct conversion?

And there is no secret involved my friend and there's nothing to reveal.

Finally it will be helpful if u can give me some more suggestions.

What do you call "High Power" exactly?
10kW
1MW
1GW
??

I can't think of may applications that would require enormous powers at a few Hz. What would you do with 1MW at 1Hz?
Inductances would need to be massive, in any AC equipment - either for generation or use.

1. How can I change the supply frequency of a 3-phase system?

To change the supply frequency of a 3-phase system, you will need to use a frequency converter. This device can convert the frequency of the incoming power supply to the desired frequency for your system. It is important to note that frequency converters can only convert frequency in one direction, so make sure to select the correct converter for your needs.

2. Can I change the supply frequency of a 3-phase system without using a frequency converter?

No, it is not possible to change the supply frequency of a 3-phase system without using a frequency converter. The frequency of the power supply is determined by the power grid and cannot be altered without a converter. Additionally, attempting to change the frequency without a converter can damage your equipment and pose a safety hazard.

3. What is the most common frequency used for 3-phase power supply?

The most common frequency used for 3-phase power supply is 50 Hz. This frequency is used in most countries around the world, with the exception of a few countries where the frequency is 60 Hz. It is important to know the frequency of your power supply before selecting a frequency converter.

4. Will changing the supply frequency affect the performance of my equipment?

Yes, changing the supply frequency can affect the performance of your equipment. Some equipment, such as motors, are designed to operate at a specific frequency and changing the frequency can cause them to run slower or faster than intended. It is important to consult with the manufacturer of your equipment before changing the frequency to ensure proper operation.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when changing the supply frequency of a 3-phase system?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when changing the supply frequency of a 3-phase system. Make sure to disconnect all power sources and follow all safety guidelines provided by the frequency converter manufacturer. Additionally, it is recommended to have a trained professional perform the frequency change to ensure it is done correctly and safely.