What is the current status of particle physics beyond the standard model?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum "Beyond the Standard Model" primarily focuses on quantum gravity but also explores other important topics such as neutrino masses, the concept of a new minimal standard model, and popular theories like weak-scale supersymmetry and GUTs. The discussions in this forum aim to evaluate and understand these theories in light of new data and observations, and also delve into more specialized topics such as mass matrices and their textures. The exchange of ideas and perspectives in this forum can lead to new insights and further our understanding of BSM physics.
mitchell porter
Gold Member
In this forum, "Beyond the Standard Model", most of the discussion is about quantum gravity. But technically, even neutrino masses are "beyond the standard model". Some years ago, a paper was written, "The new minimal standard model", which self-consciously set out to describe a minimal new theory capable of explaining neutrino masses and modern cosmological data. If we believe the reports of a 125 GeV Higgs boson, then even the NMSM is now obsolete by its own criteria, because that falls outside the range of Higgs masses allowed (see page 3)...

Meanwhile, there are many other standard ideas about BSM physics, such as weak-scale supersymmetry and GUTs, and there are thousands of specific models. Along with the usual gossip about rumored new observations, there is always an ongoing effort to decide what sort of overall model is the most plausible given the current data. For example, here you can see Nima Arkani-Hamed trying to reason out the likely implications of a 125 GeV Higgs. I would like to see us have a discussion like that. I don't expect us to arrive at a consensus, and probably much of the discussion here would turn on matters that are taken for granted elsewhere, e.g. what is the status of GUT or susy-GUT; how likely is it that that really is the way the world works? But hopefully we could also get around to discussing more arcane topics, like textures for mass matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for bringing up the topic of "Beyond the Standard Model" in this forum. I completely agree that while quantum gravity is a major focus in this area, we should not overlook the significance of neutrino masses and their implications for our understanding of the universe.

The idea of a "new minimal standard model" is intriguing, and I agree that with the recent discovery of a 125 GeV Higgs boson, it may no longer be the most accurate representation of our current understanding of particle physics. As you mentioned, there are also other popular theories such as weak-scale supersymmetry and GUTs that are being explored.

I believe it is important for us to continue discussing and evaluating these theories in light of new data and observations. While we may not reach a consensus, the exchange of ideas and perspectives can lead to new insights and further our understanding of the universe.

I am particularly interested in the topic of mass matrices and their textures. It would be fascinating to delve into the possible implications of different textures and how they may fit into the larger picture of BSM physics.

Overall, I agree that our discussions should go beyond just quantum gravity and encompass a wider range of topics related to BSM physics. I look forward to engaging in discussions with you and other scientists in this forum.

1. What is the standard model in particle physics?

The standard model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions that make up the known universe. It includes three of the four fundamental forces (excluding gravity) and explains the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. What are the current limitations of the standard model?

While the standard model has been successful in predicting and explaining many experimental results, it has some limitations. For example, it does not include gravity and does not provide a mechanism for explaining dark matter and dark energy, which are believed to make up a significant portion of the universe.

3. What is the current status of research on particle physics beyond the standard model?

The search for physics beyond the standard model is an active area of research in particle physics. Many experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), are searching for new particles and interactions that could extend our understanding of the universe beyond the standard model.

4. What are some proposed theories or models that could go beyond the standard model?

Some proposed theories that could go beyond the standard model include supersymmetry, extra dimensions, and grand unified theories. These theories attempt to address the limitations of the standard model and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

5. How does the search for physics beyond the standard model impact our understanding of the universe?

The search for physics beyond the standard model is essential for advancing our understanding of the universe. By finding new particles and interactions, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe and potentially solve mysteries such as dark matter and dark energy. It also has practical applications, such as improving technologies and developing new materials.