Does natural iron have a denser nucleous then lab made iron?

In summary: So, iron is a "dead-end" of fusion processes.My question is if we made iron in a lab, would its nucleous be just as condensed as natural iron or would it be slightly less?Since we define an element by the number of nucleons present, and all protons have the same mass as do all neutrons, a nucleus of an iron atom must have the same mass regardless of how it is formed.In summary, the nucleus of man-made iron would have the same mass as natural iron, as both are defined by the number of nucleons present. Additionally, iron is a "dead-end" of fusion processes, meaning that it cannot be formed in a lab without the use of extreme pressure.
Rorkster2
I've heard Iron has the most condensed nucleous out of all the elements, and I asume it is due to the enormous amount of pressure in a stars core just before the end of its life. My question is if we made iron in a lab, would its nucleous be just as condensed as natural iron or would it be slightly less?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since we define an element by the number of nucleons present, and all protons have the same mass as do all neutrons a nucleus of an iron atom must have the same mass regardless of how it is formed.

You can say even more: Man-made iron nuclei (with the right number of neutrons) are indistinguishable from iron nuclei produced in star. They is no way to see a difference, no matter how advanced the experiment is.

I've heard Iron has the most condensed nucleous out of all the elements
It has the highest binding energy per nucleon.

and I asume it is due to the enormous amount of pressure in a stars core just before the end of its life.
This is not sufficient to explain the formation of iron (and a high pressure would prefer even heavier atoms). However, pressure is required to get fusion processes in stars.

1. Is natural iron denser than lab-made iron?

There is no significant difference in the density of natural iron and lab-made iron. Both forms of iron have a density of approximately 7.87 g/cm3.

2. Does the nucleous (atomic nucleus) affect the density of iron?

The atomic nucleus does not directly affect the density of iron. The density of iron is primarily determined by its atomic structure and crystal lattice, which are consistent in both natural and lab-made iron.

3. What is the main difference between natural and lab-made iron?

The main difference between natural and lab-made iron is the source of the iron. Natural iron is found in the Earth's crust and is extracted from mines, while lab-made iron is produced through various industrial processes.

4. Can natural iron be considered purer than lab-made iron?

No, both natural and lab-made iron can be considered pure. Iron is an element with a defined atomic structure and composition, so there is no variation in purity between natural and lab-made forms.

5. How does the production method affect the properties of iron?

The production method does not significantly affect the properties of iron. As long as the iron is produced through reliable and consistent processes, the properties of iron should remain the same regardless of its source.